Since I’ve been writing this blog for the last few months, all you ladies in the Hive have gotten to know a little bit about me and my crazy ways (my vintage shopping ways, my friendship drama, my freakishly large feet, etc.).
However, as I am not the only one getting married, I thought it might be nice to dedicate a blog post to my one and only Mr. Hummingbird. So, without further ado, a little list about why Mr. Hummingbird is awesome!
1. He is super smart – Even though we’ve been together 3 years, I’m still surprised by all the things he knows about science, history and art. Not only do I find it pretty darn sexy, but it totally helps us kick ass at Trivial Pursuit.
2. He is very creative – Not only is he working as an environmental artist for an upcoming video game, but he’s also been drawing his own cartoon for the past two years. Last summer, he even published a book of his early strips. I could not have been more proud.
3. He has a great “sense of wow” – A lot of guys in their twenties seem to think it’s not cool to be happy or excited about things they like, but Mr. Hummingbird still has this great childlike enthusiasm for movies and books and games that totally makes me smile. The first time he brought me over to his place, he showed me his gigantic collection of Star Wars Lego and I was immediately charmed.
4. He is very supportive – Two years ago, I was stuck in an administrative job I absolutely hated. My boss was a jerk and I came home every day crying. Mr. Hummingbird not only told me to quit the job, but encouraged me to hold out and try to find something I actually wanted to do. A month later, I was hired into my current job in publishing.
5. He is incredibly thoughtful – A couple of years ago, a beloved aunt of mine died. I’d spent a lot of my childhood in her place in Verdun, Quebec. Not only was she always ready to play (usually our favourite game – Kerplunk), but after my grandmother died, she was one of the people who really comforted me and helped me through such a rough time. When my parents told me she’d passed away, I was shattered. The next day when I came home from work he was waiting for me to comfort me and to give me a present – my very own Kerplunk set.
6. He encourages me to try new things/is willing to try new things– Before we got together, I barely played video games and I wasn’t a fan of spicy foods and he barely watched TV and wasn’t a fan of foreign films. Now I love Dead or Alive and food with a zip to it (Mexican, Indian, bring it on!) and he’s addicted to series television (Heroes and The Office are must-watches) and loves movies by Chan-wook Park and Guillermo del Toro.
7. He is sweet with my family – My family has a lot of traditions during the holidays. We always have an entire meal of appetizers on Christmas Eve, we watch The Grinch That Stole Christmas and (I) sing the Fahoo Forays song, and Christmas day is not complete without my uncle, my dad and my grandpa quoting Monty Python. I thought it might be weird for him having to jump into all our little customs, but he was completely game, eating miniquiches, snuggling up to me during The Grinch and breaking out his favourite lines from Life Of Brian (“You’re all individuals!” “I’m not!”)
8. He is really good with kids – We’re not planning on doing the whole kid thing for a while yet, but he is “Uncle Hummingbird” to a friend’s little girls and is always completely game for playing with them when we go over, be it building a tower with blocks or having an invisible tea party.
9. He has a secret voice he uses just for puppies – Okay, he reads this blog and will probably be completely embarrassed for me outing him like this, but we live by a giant park and whenever we’re walking through it and run into a cute dog, he drops to his knees (he’s a very tall guy) and starts cooing at them in a voice five times higher than his regular speaking voice. One of his major goals, when we move into a bigger place, is to get his own little grumpy-looking bulldog puppy to follow him around.
10. He is actually involved in the wedding planning – I know some brides like to be a one-woman wedding show, but I’m happy to have some help and completely appreciate Mr. Hummingbird lending a hand. In fact, so much so that we’re working it out so that we both have elements of the wedding that are uniquely ours (I’ll blog about that a little later, but I have to say now, I’m really excited about some of Mr. Hummingbird’s stuff – so cool!).
Anyway, now that you’ve heard a little about my amazing fiancé, tell me a bit about yours. What’s he like and what makes him so awesome?
(A little pic of Mr. and Miss Hummingbird, taken at their engagement party this past summer)