Cleaning the Engagement Ring

When I first got engaged, I didn’t know anything about owning a ring or how to take care of one. I never wear any jewelry at all, so wearing a ring all the time took a little getting used to. This might sound a little dumb, but I didn’t even know if I was supposed to take off my ring before I go to bed or before I take a shower. I was just that clueless and I was terrified of losing it (if you know me, you know how clumsy I am and how often I tend to lose/break things).

About 2 weeks into our engagement, I went on a business trip to Washington, DC. I never took my ring off at all because I wanted to avoid having to tell Mr. Martini that I lost my ring and risk being told not to come back to NJ (kidding… he would never say that… or would he…). By the time I got back, I started to notice that my ring wasn’t as bling bling as it was when I first got it. I was all set to buy a jewelry cleaning machine and started asking around for suggestions on different types of cleaners. I found that I generally got the same advice from most of my newlywed friends – a jewelry cleaner is a huge waste of money. So if it’s a waste of money, how do I clean my ring?

My matron of honor told me that she bought two pricey electric cleaners, and she never used either of them. She actually got her ring cleaning secret from a friend of hers. Her friend’s ring was always super shiny so my MOH couldn’t resist asking her what she used to clean it. The secret? Good old toothpaste. She gets comments on her ring all the time and they are always shocked when she tells them that she just pretty much brushes her ring like she brushes her teeth. I’ve tried this and it works! I bought a child toothbrush dedicated to ring brushing (best 3 bucks I’ve ever spent), added a little toothpaste and brushed away. It worked wonders and I watched my ring turn from dull to glow glow glow.

Another good friend of mine suggested using dishwashing liquid, so I tried that as well. I thought it worked just as well if not better. In fact, I prefer this to toothpaste because it foams better and washes off faster. Just place a small dab on the same kiddie toothbrush, brush, and rinse under hot water to watch the dullness wash away.

I also found something called Maas Jewelry Cleaner and thought I’d give it a try as well:

s158518

s15851801
The cleaner actually comes with a little brush, but I prefer using my own kiddie brush.

s15851802
There is a basket inside so fishing out your ring is a piece of cake.

s15851803
Brush brush brush.

s15851804
All clean! I don’t know why my hand is spread out like that. I swear I’m not a Trekkie.

Of course I have to admit that nothing will get it as clean as a professional cleaning, but I found these three things to work very well for me. I am bit partial to the Maas Cleaner because it was created specifically for jewelry, so I know it is safe. I do a quick brush with the dishwashing liquid sometimes before I run out the door.

Do you have any ring cleaning tips? If so please share because I’d love to hear!

BLOGGER

Mrs. Martini

Location:
New Jersey
Wedding Date:
March 2014

Related Posts

comments

1. Guest Icon Guest
    clevelander, Guest @ 8:37 am

such a pretty ring!

a word of advice – watch using toothpaste as it contains abrasives that have the potential to damage your metal.

2. Guest Icon Guest
    laterz, Guest @ 8:41 am

yeah i heard the same warning on toothpaste from our jeweler.

3. Guest Icon Guest
    jessplusben, Guest @ 8:53 am

My jeweler gave me a dozen bottles of his cleaner. Its blue and it smells like windex….

4. Guest Icon Guest
    Lasareath, Guest @ 9:00 am

I bought a SharperTEK Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner CD-7800 CD PRO for my Fiancee and it works very very well. It cleans everything!

I think I paid around $68 for it.

5. Guest Icon Guest
    jessplusben, Guest @ 9:02 am

@Lasareath:
    I’d suggest to be careful with the ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. My sister setting became loose after using this; the jeweler highly discouraged using this!

6. Guest Icon Guest
    Lasareath, Guest @ 9:08 am

Thanks Jess, We bought it because our Jeweler uses one from the same company.

If you go to your Jeweler and ask them to clean your ring don’t they just put them inside a ultrasonic cleaner as well?

7. Member
    hotcocoa 2098 posts, Buzzing bee @ 9:13 am

I started out using the Brilliant Earth cleaner (that came with my ring), but I’ve switched to Something New on the strength of the recs from a number of the other bees. It really works!

8. Member
    gatornicole 15 posts, Newbee @ 9:42 am

the place where i bought my ring told us to use a little bit of mr clean! just be careful when you use it. i read up online about it first. it depends on what your ring is made out of.

9. Guest Icon Guest
    LizzyJ, Guest @ 9:56 am

Thanks for the great tips. I use jewelry cleaner like Maas and it works great. Must try that toothpaste trick, though!

10. Member
    KateMW 2704 posts, Sugar bee @ 9:58 am

I use my daughter’s old Diego toothbrush and whatever is close, either hand soap or toothpaste. Every few months if I’m out shopping near my jeweler, I got have it really cleaned and then they check the setting since the ultrasonic thing could make it lose. It’s so pretty right now! I was in buying my husband’s anniversary watch the other day and they cleaned it for me while I wrote the check! :)

11. Guest Icon Guest
    Xangeleno, Guest @ 10:37 am

If you have a sonicare-type electric toothbrush, save an old head as your ring cleaner. Just dampen it with water, and brush away. After a minute or so, submerge it in water while you clean, so the “gunk” can come off. Finish with a cloth to get your final squeaky clean result. It makes a huge difference with my ring!

True about the ultrasonic cleaner – I lost a pave’ stone after the jeweler cleaned mine.

12. Member
    mschampagne 1337 posts, Bumble bee @ 10:43 am

Something new is great!! Works wonders and smells like a smoothie!!

13. Guest Icon Guest
    october2008bride, Guest @ 11:05 am

Ditto the warnings on toothpaste – but any of those cleaners from the jewellery store should work. Also just use some dishsoap mixed with hot water (some people add a bit of mr. clean) and that will clean it and cut the grease.

As far as the ultrasonic goes, it isn’t recommended for pave, but is fine for solitaires. It won’t typically make the stone come loose, but if it is already loose, it will often come out.

14. Guest Icon Guest
    Corey, Guest @ 11:10 am

I only use toothpaste (the plain ol white kind w/o bleach etc) for pearls only and I use windex for my ring (that’s why my jewler said that all cleaners you buy essentially are). Works great :)

15. Member
    Mrs. DG 8491 posts, Bumble Beekeeper @ 11:53 am

My jeweler recommended a 50/50 mixture of windex and water. I looked it up and ammonia (the ingredient in windex) is the recommended way to clean both platinum and diamond.

Now my question is, “How often is too often to clean?” My fiance says I clean it too much (almost every day). How often do you clean?

16. Member
    mrbee 4409 posts, Honey bee @ 12:18 pm

Wow you can spot a Vulcan hand salute, but you’re not a Trekkie? Haha whatever – Live long and prosper!

17. Member
    nashgirl 139 posts, Blushing bee @ 12:22 pm

i use a toothbrush with dish soap… an electric toothbrush works great for getting into all the nooks and crannies! i also have an ultrasonic cleaner, but i find the toothbrush does a better job :)

18. Guest Icon Guest
    Marissa, Guest @ 6:49 pm

I agree with october2008bride. A baby toothbrush dislodged two of the pavee diamonds on my ring. I didn’t know they were loose until they were in the sink!

19. Guest Icon Guest
    Stacey, Guest @ 11:34 pm

i use the baby toothbrush method too! i have some pave set stones on the side, but i don’t brush those – i wipe them with a soft towel, specifically so they don’t dislodge. i brush the three main stones, and they get very nice and pretty. :)

20. Guest Icon Guest
    historybride, Guest @ 12:15 am

I just get my ring cleaned every month at J B Robinson. They do it for free without even asking where I got it (though we did get the ring there), I get an excuse to go wander around the mall a little bit, and look at shiny things in the store while it’s cleaned. Takes 3 minutes, tops, and they always check that the settings are secure.

In between though (if it starts to bug me), I just use some Windex and a cloth.

21. Member
    martini 270 posts, Helper bee @ 12:43 am

@doctorgirl: i clean my ring pretty often too. my best friend cleans hers once a week so i thought i cleaned it too much – about once every other day or once every three days, depending how dirty it gets. but she takes her off as soon as she comes home – I tend to leave it on until right before getting into bed.

22. Guest Icon Guest
    Darlene, Guest @ 1:55 am

I actually soak mine in a bit of vodka for 15 minutes and use my toothbrush to give it a gentle scrub and it’s sparkly and new again!

23. Guest Icon Guest
    ChrissyM, Guest @ 9:56 am

This may be a stupid question, but for using dish detergent, what kind of detergent do you mean — the kind you use for handwashing dishes? (As opposed to dishwasher detergent?)

24. Member
    martini 270 posts, Helper bee @ 10:03 am

@ChrissyM: hi! yep~ i meant the liquid dishwashing detergent, like joy or palmolive, that you use to hand wash dishes in the sink. =)

25. Member
    gigglebride 35 posts, Newbee @ 12:24 pm

My jeweler advised that I drop my ring in a shallow dish of warm water and dish soap for about 10 minutes every so often. If it is really dirty he said to use hotter water and leave for 15 minutes. He recommends I don’t scrub or rub with a brush, as it’s not great for the metal and can eventually loosen the diamond. His “professional” cleanings are actually nothing more than the same soap and water, with a little vibration to loosen stuck-on dirtyness, and my ring always comes out like bling after that! :)

26. Guest Icon Guest
    Katherine, Guest @ 3:45 pm

Thanks so much for the advice! I look at mine & think how dirty it is all the time & never thought to do this… d’oh!

27. Member
    erinjane 40 posts, Newbee @ 4:06 pm

My jeweler advised the same baby toothbrush and warm water method, but suggested also dipping it in a bit of rubbing alcohol a few times, too, as this breaks up any greasy buildup: from hand lotion, scummy dishwater, and especially what he says is the worst shine-killer… hair products!

28. Member
    MrsK2be 1258 posts, Bumble bee @ 9:37 pm

After trying nearly ALL of the methods listed above, I took my ring to a jeweler once that used a steam cleaner. I have NEVEr seen my ring so shiny as after that steam cleaning. Even FI commented on how great it looked! So, now all I do is put my ring in steaming hot water (tap water) for a minute and scrub it with an old tooth brush (no paste). It never fails!

29. Guest Icon Guest
    MarkyK, Guest @ 5:27 pm

I love your ring! I happened upon this website randomly helping a friend plan a wedding. Would you be able to give me more details on it? Not price or carat size but type of cut, setting, and the band I can’t see it clearly in the pic. It is beautiful! Thanks and congrats!

30. Member
    msjellyfish 1453 posts, Bumble bee @ 2:47 pm

does the toothpaste method work for white gold too, or just platinum?

31. Member
    martini 270 posts, Helper bee @ 5:00 pm

@Bean: hmmm i wish i could tell you, but i’m not exactly sure. lately, i’ve been using dishwashing liquid more often than toothpaste, and that seems to work wonders. maybe try that?

32. Guest Icon Guest
    christina, Guest @ 9:52 pm

just tried the old sonic toothbrush head with dishsoap with a little rubbing alcohol final rinse, WOW BLING! color!! sparkle!! just like new! great idea!

33. Guest Icon Guest
    Donald, Guest @ 10:12 pm

My wife is the one cleaning our rings she don’t want me to do it so I give it to her whenever she will clean her ring. The ring symbolize the relationship of a couple so we must keep it in good condition.

34. Guest Icon Guest
    Emily Kate, Guest @ 11:48 am

I am worried about anything abrasive scratching the platinum; I use Connoisseurs Jewelry Cleaner (like my mom does)–comes in a red jar, works great, has a little brush to gently scrub around the diamond. VERY nice for my new, GORGEOUS engagement ring!!!

35. Guest Icon Guest
    Joe Habbit, Guest @ 11:23 pm

Jewelry cleaner works great. I have many different types of jewelry cleaners at my house right now. I have Sparkle Sparkle which makes specific cleaners for each of the precious metal types. I also have Hagerty for sterling silver. The best solution I have found was told to me by a good friend that is a jeweler. I mix half water and Mr. Clean with a small amount of ammonia. Soak the jewelry piece for 15 seconds then rinse with water and dry. This works with all types of jewelry including pearls, emeralds, and opals. For sterling silver I can use this same solution if the piece just needs to be cleaned. If the sterling piece is tarnished I make a paste with baking soda and water then rub the paste on the sterling. Rinse in water and dry. The full article about cleaning fine jewelry can be found here How to Clean Fine Jewelry

36. Guest Icon Guest
    Engagement Rings, Guest @ 2:26 am

I am glad to find your impressive way of writing the post. Now it become easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thanks for sharing the post.

37. Guest Icon Guest
    Kimberly, Guest @ 3:41 pm

I bought a jewelry jet steam cleaner n I love love love it. You dont have to use any chemicals just tap water n my engagement ring sparkles like crazy. When u get your ring professionally cleaned they use a steam machine so it looks really close to professional clean

38. Guest Icon Guest
    Cleaning Engagement Rings Toothpaste | yesengagementrings.com, Guest @ 8:54 am

[...] Cleaning the Engagement Ring – Mrs. Martini – 37 comments; tags … resist asking her what she used to clean it. The secret? Good old toothpaste. She gets comments on her ring… Find original page [...]

39. Guest Icon Guest
    TymnFooro, Guest @ 9:57 pm

Hello Guys Im new in here!

I find this local community really interesting. I’ve scanned the complete site and I discover it extremely beneficial. I do hope you guys reply to my upcoming questions.

Please be nice to me! Thanks a lot!

40. Guest Icon Guest
    TymnFooro, Guest @ 10:41 pm

Hello Guys Im new in here!

I’ve found this local community really interesting. I’ve examined the whole website and I discover it really definitely beneficial. Hope you guys response my upcoming concerns.

Please be nice to me! Thanks a lot!

41. Guest Icon Guest
    TymnFooro, Guest @ 7:08 pm

Practically nothing like expensive jewelry can bring about this kind of feelings of real pleasure from the recipient, particularly if that person enjoys precious jewelry. Considering the variety of options, and it becoming a important expense, it is essential to select the best precious jewelry when you, or the person to whom you will be buying it will be using it frequently.

In case you are buying to find a premium quality bit of coral jewelry and need to find the best cost for your material, just remember several elements that enter in the cost. Traditional coral expensive jewelry pricing is determined by the gram think about, shade, condition, sizing and total quality of the part. The greater the sections, of any normal coral piece of expensive jewelry, the larger the selling price.

Should you be buying a qualified gemstone, be sure to look at the diamond’s official document very carefully. In case the diamonds is not really licensed with a reliable certifying physique, then get in touch with the lab and view the diamond’s information using the laboratory. Ensure that the qualification states the full description of your precious stone.

When wearing expensive jewelry, less is a lot more. You don’t need to put on a necklace, ear-rings, charms, a watch, and jewelry to help make your outfit appearance complete. Choose parts that really work effectively with your ensemble and what you’re putting on. 1 well picked bracelet or necklace will attract much more compliments than several stunning goods.

When shopping for jewellery, you will find a lot of different possibilities. Filter the options down just before store shopping to protect yourself from impulse purchases! Check out all around for sales and discounts also.Getting a common strategy and adhering to it may help maintain your budget under control, particularly if you are given to slipping in love with almost everything sparkly!

As you can see, the right precious jewelry offers many choices for decorating on your own. Should you keep up with the items you may have and carefully select new alternatives, jewelry provides an entire life of entertaining and coloration to the existence. You happen to be deserving of having the enchanting experience of spectacular precious jewelry.

42. Guest Icon Guest
    emerald cut engagement Rings, Guest @ 10:30 pm

It marks that point in time where two devote to turn one eternally.
    They have a small country of rugrats running about at home so it was only a matter of time before they made it official.

All the ladies followed straight to the attic to give me
    a draught to calm me down.