Yep. That was the name of a mixed CD I came across while house-sitting recently. Sappy Love Songs. Mr. Cowboy Boot and I were cooking dinner at this gorgeous house when I was sifting through the house owner’s CD collection. Since we haven’t decided on any of our song choices yet for the wedding, I thought, ‘Perfect, let’s give it a whirl and possibly, find a first dance song. Maybe we’ll be inspired? Or maybe we’ll hear something unexpected that will fit in perfectly?’
We love music and are thinking we’d like to hire a bluegrass band to play the wedding. Some of these songs would sound so awesome bluegrass-style. We’re both really drawn to the Pink Floyd song Wish You Were Here, but there’s something so sad about the line “We’re just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl”.
We have a lot to plan out: ceremony songs, what to play during our cocktail hour, our first dance, any other important moments. Whew—it’s a bit overwhelming.
So, hive, I share this song list with you with our first dance in mind. Let me know what you think!
- Jackson by Johnny Cash and June Carter
- She is My Everything by John Prine
- Tell Her This by Del Amitri
- Falling Slowly by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova
- Quiet Town by Josh Rouse
- Love and Some Verses by Iron & Wine
- Looking for Nothing by Aimee Mann
- I’m the Man Who Loves You by Wilco
- Falling in Love at a Coffee Shop by Landon Pigg
- Strawberry Swing by Coldplay
- Something Good This Way Comes by Jakob Dylan
- Falling at Your Feet by U2 & Daniel Lanois
- Naked as We Come by Iron & Wine
Our favorites? The Coldplay and Jakob Dylan songs. I also love Resurrection Fern by Iron & Wine, but I’m not sure the lyrics make much sense for a first dance (or make much sense at all for that matter): “In our days we will live like our ghosts will live”. It just sounds so somber.
What song are you planning for your first dance? Any ideas for us based on the above?
- Santa Fe
- Magazine Editor
- Wedding Date:
- October 2009
- Devil's Thumb Ranch, Colorado