Even though I can only really do Monday, Tuesday and sometimes Wednesday puzzles, the New York Times crossword has always been a favorite of mine. I especially like to work them with my mother, who is a crossword genius, and sometimes Mr. Sew and my Dad if the clue has something to do with car parts or the military.
Is it trying to tell me something? Moi? Never.
Now, since there are a ton of free online crossword generators out there, why not make our own for the wedding? It’ll keep people occupied if they get bored, and we can give out a prize for whoever is first to complete it. Mr. Sew agreed with my idea, but decided it wouldn’t be fair unless we also included his puzzle of choice: sudoku. So, one crossword puzzle and super-expert level sudoku puzzle, please.
For crossword clues – honestly, my first list was so obscure even Mr. Sew didn’t know all the answers. I sent him a list of my “clues” in an email, and he shot back his answers. A small sample, Mr. Sew’s guesses in blue italic:
- Greek lamb burritos I am offended that you called it a burrito
- Mr. Sew’s first valentine present to Miss Sewing … Oh man… sorry I don’t remember (don’t get mad T_T)
- Diglett …Dig? (what the crap)
- Hand Miss Sewing uses to write with Writing hand… LOL
- Sith lightsaber color Red… are they always red?
He then sent back his own clues, which I tried to answer in turn (in red italic).
- Lenny ____ Euler. but people might say Kravitz, the singer.
- Badger (4x) Oh, it’s a snake?
- Mushroom kingdom foot-soldier Goomba
- “Whole Check” Whole Foods
- Outdoor/sporting goods store in Manteca You’re getting ridiculous now LOL
I think sometimes we have a problem with obscurity. Through a long series of back-and-forths, we found a good mix of Sewing-related clues and “potpourri” clues which have no real tie other than being things that interest us. Though just in case we are still too random, maybe the prize should be for whoever finishes the most by the end of the night.
Any other puzzle fans? Are you team crossword or team sudoku?
- San Mateo, CA/Honolulu, HI
- Electrical Engineer
- Wedding Date:
- July 2010
- Anela Garden Chapel & Japanese Cultural Center, Honolulu