One of the questions that are asked of me most frequently is, “How do you choose new bee bloggers?” Well, we like to think that they choose us. All applicants apply to become bees—we don’t recruit bloggers beyond occasional posts showing off our new and current generations of icons and a link to where and how you can apply. In an attempt to demystify the process, here’s how Weddingbee goes about reviewing all our blogger applications!
ALL applications and corresponding applicants’ blogs are read carefully by a 12 person committee made up of current and past bee bloggers. The committee is anonymous to the public, to keep the process fair.
- Potential bee bloggers submit their applications and they land in our inbox. Once we receive 5-10 applications (typically within a 2-4 week period), we gather all outstanding applications and send each one to all committee members to review. We also pass along an editable spreadsheet. This spreadsheet contains a column with committee members’ names in it where they can mark each blog with yes/no.
- Committee members all respond on the spreadsheet with a simple yes/no within a defined 24 hour period.
- After the 24 hour period, we will remove all blogs that have gotten across-the-board nos. If a blog receives even just ONE yes, it will remain up as a candidate up for discussion.
- From there, we open up discussion to the committee via a new shared document where we can contribute our thoughts on each applicant. All notes and reflections on each application are discussed carefully there. Members are free to keep or change their yes/no vote based on discussion there.
- Once discussion closes after an additional 24 hours, any applicant that receives 100% yeses from committee automatically become our newest blogger bees! Any applicant that receives more than 50% yeses from the committee are sent to ALL current and past bee bloggers for voting. All blogger bees are welcome to share their thoughts with me privately via email.
- Of the applications that are sent to ALL current/past bee bloggers, those that receive a strong yes vote (60% or more) from all the bees become blogger bees as well!
As a group of bloggers, we’ve all worked together over the past year to really make the process as meaningful and fair as possible. I want to send a special thank you to all the bees involved in the process…they’re a dedicated group of ladies, and it’s been so fun having a dynamic round table discussion with you all!
It’s such a pleasure to read every single potential application (trust me, we do!), and if you’re interested in becoming a bee, we hope that you’ll check out our application guidelines! Being a bee has been one of the most rewarding and memorable experiences of being engaged for me…we hope you’ll join us!