If you’re a dog person, you probably understand why some couples have their dogs in their weddings. The relationship between a dog and owner is about unconditional love, companionship, and dependability.
From Snippet & Ink / Photo by Joe Mikos Photographers
There was a time when I didn’t understand why people were so crazy for dogs. I thought the idea of having a dog in a wedding was downright strange. When Junior Mink came into my life four years ago, everything changed. Part of me wanted him in our wedding, but part of me worried about having him there.
From Style Me Pretty / Photo by Jennifer Bullock Photography
Here are some of the reasons we wanted Junior Mink at our wedding:
- We’d have someone at our wedding who spends more time with us and knows us better than most (pardon the anthropomorphism).
- He goes with us everywhere, so it makes sense for him to be with us at our wedding.
- He would probably be the most well behaved guest.
- The photo opportunities would be charming since he’s a pro at posing for the camera.
- All of our friends love him…even the one person we know who doesn’t like dogs.
- He loves children and it’s always heartwarming to see him play with our niece and nephews.
From Southern Weddings / Photo by 13:13 Photography
Of course, there are some drawbacks:
- Junior Mink might be bored at a wedding.
- We’ll have to have a handler we totally trust to take care of him.
- Our venue is happy to have dogs on the property, but they can’t be inside the reception room, so excessive rain or heat would be a problem.
- The handler would miss some of the wedding to take Junior Mink home after the ceremony.
- We love him so much, we might be distracted from spending time with our guests.
- Someone might be allergic to dogs, but we can’t think of anyone on our guest list who might be.
Image from Jodi Miller Photography
I’ve been collecting pictures of dogs at weddings for months. I find them totally charming, but I’m not sure Junior Mink’s destined to come to our wedding.
Where do you stand on the wedding-dog issue?