Logistics are not my thing. I can dream away, creating the perfect wedding day in my head, but when it comes down to putting those dream plans in motion, I usually fail. Something that has been giving me tons of grief is actually quite simple—trying to sort out our wedding-day timeline.
See, we want to do our photos after the wedding, so we need good light. The whole shebang is outdoors, too, and we don’t want to get married in the dark. But we don’t want to have the wedding ceremony too early, because that means dinner will be at a weird time, and everything will end early, too.
From what I can gather, based on sunrise/sunset calendars and a bit of guesstimating, sunset should occur sometime around 7 PM on the day of our wedding. From there, we’ll have about half an hour of civil twilight, that blue, glow-y, fading-light kind of sky. Ideally, we’re going to want to have everything done waaay before then.
Figuring about half an hour for our ceremony, an hour for cocktails/us doing photographs, and an hour and a half or so for dinner (there’s not that many of us) and dancing thereafter, I’m imagining it like so:
- Ceremony at 4 PM, lasting to about 4:30 PM
- Photos/cocktail hour from 4:30 PM to 5:30 PM, with an extra half hour built in just in case we are slow getting away from the ceremony, accidentally get stuck in a receiving line, or the photos take longer than expected
- Dinner from 6 PM to around 7:00 or 7:30 PM
- Dancing until 10 PM or so? It’s an outdoor reception and I don’t really want noise complaints. Cake cutting/special dances/bouquet toss, etc. will be in this time period, too.
- Optional after-party somewhere if we still feel like celebrating!
I think we’d be OK for light, and dinner would be at a normal eating time. It’s the things like this that make me scratch my head!
Is that schedule logical? Is there enough time built in for everything (keeping in mind there will only be 50 people in attendance)? Does anyone else struggle with sorting out things like times and dates and lists and technology? (Now I’m just venting.)
- Sioux Lookout/Brockville, ON
- Wedding Date:
- September 2012
- Mother of the Bride's Residence