We arrived at Roots for our hometown party around 7:00 PM. The Cellar felt almost as welcoming as our friends and family members, many of whom had already arrived. The room was warm with the glow of candles and string lights and the smiling faces of our guests.
The room quickly started to fill. The capacity of the Cellar for a seated dinner is 60, and we had 53 guests coming. (We had a 77% acceptance rate on our invitations.)
Mr. Mole and I tried to circulate around the room as much as possible, greeting and talking (and laughing) with all of our guests.
My mom also circulated around the room, with a Target bag in hand. Mr. Mole and I didn’t anticipate receiving so many cards from our guests, so we didn’t have a dedicated card box. (Don’t make our mistake! Or, at the very least, find a fancier bag.)
Gavin also made the rounds with his camera. Of course, he was not the only one taking photographs. Almost everyone had cameras out and flashing.
We were pleased to see that people were enjoying our signature drinks. We had a full open bar at Roots, but Mr. Mole made a sign to highlight three recommended drinks.
Personal photo of framed sign
Tom Boonen‘s recommendation of a greyhound was by far the most popular of the three drinks. According to our itemized bill, 23 greyhounds were ordered.
Our appetizers also were pretty popular. We had a cheese and fruit board; vegan parsnip ribs; shiitake mushroom spring rolls; shrimp, ginger compote, and lime mustard on cucumber slices; and shaved tenderloin in choux pastry with chipotle mascarpone. I made it a point to sample the appetizers as they came out!
I had worn my wedding dress to the party because all of my aunts had wanted to see it. After about 30 minutes, though, I was over it and ready to change.
Mr. Mole and I slipped away, and he guarded the bathroom door as I changed clothes. I was pleased to get a second wear out of my rehearsal-dinner dress!
And with that, our cocktail hour—or, more accurately, 75 minutes—was over. It was time to eat!
All photography in Milwaukee by Gavin Gould, unless otherwise noted.
Did you miss a Mole recap?
- We had a recap before the recaps
- We welcomed our families to Las Vegas
- We rode in limos and danced with lions
- We rehearsed at Stripburger
- I got ready, emotionally and physically
- I took some glamour shots
- Mr. Mole had his moment in the spotlight
- We took some pre-ceremony photos together
- We walked down the aisle and started our ceremony
- We got married!
- We took photos with family and cheered with strangers
- We welcomed our guests to Bouchon
- We struggled to cut the cake
- We toasted and celebrated with our guests
- We focused on the details
- We created albums with our photographs
- We flew with the dress to Milwaukee
- We rocked the frock around the city
- Los Angeles/Las Vegas
- Test Prep Instructor
- Wedding Date:
- January 2012
- Wynn Las Vegas/Bouchon Bistro