I owe you an apology, hive.
I never shared our first dance song with you! It’s not that I didn’t want to, it’s just that Mr. Coyote and I had such a hard time picking one out, and by the time we finally decided on one, I didn’t have time before the wedding to squeeze another post in!
Mr. Coyote and I mulled over so many song choices when trying to decide on a first dance song. Nothing seemed to fit. Some were too long, too upbeat, the lyrics weren’t right”¦Oh, I could go on forever. Finally, I suggested a meaningful, but very offbeat, song. I initially introduced it as a joke, but we kept coming back to it. Could we really have a song by Adam Sandler as our first dance? Seeing as we had already chosen “500 Miles” for our recessional song, I didn’t see why we couldn’t.
And, so, Mr. Coyote and I had our first dance as husband and wife to “I Wanna Grow Old With You” by Adam Sandler. It was perfect! Short and sweet, with lyrics that are guaranteed to warm your heart. Even though I was a tad nervous about nailing our dance steps, Mr. Coyote did such a great job, so I just relaxed, followed his lead and enjoyed this special moment with my new husband.
“I wanna make you smile when you’re feelin’ sad,
Carry you around when your arthritis is bad.
All I wanna do is grow old with you.
“I’ll get your medicine when your tummy aches,
Build you a fire when the furnace breaks.
Oh it could be so nice, growing old with you.
“I’ll miss you,
Give you my coat when you are cold.
Even let you hold the remote control.
“So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink,
Put you to bed if you’ve had too much drink.
I could be the man who grows old with you.
I wanna grow old with you.”
Are you having a more nontraditional first dance song?
*All photos are by the fabulous Upstate Photographers unless otherwise noted.*
Miss a recap?
- I babble about being married and share our wedding video.
- We finish up some last-minute wedding tasks and pre-wedding jitters set in the day before the wedding.
- We practice getting married and then head to our rehearsal dinner where I shed my first tears of the weekend. We later wind down with our families back at the hotel.
- My bridesmaids get pretty and I get a special message from Mr. Coyote.
- I try to cope when things don’t go quite as planned, but thankfully I quickly bounce back and then it was time to become a bride. Meanwhile, Mr. Coyote was calm as a cucumber as he got ready with the dads and groomsmen.
- I finish getting ready and see an unexpected guest on my way to our first look.
- It was finally time to cross the street and meet my groom!
- We spend some time with our wedding party and then some time alone. Ceremony time was rapidly approaching.
- Our ceremony begins with the family and bridesmaid processional and continues with the bridal processional.
- I share the full text of our ceremony.
- We recess and my father gives us a very special wedding gift.
- Our friends and family gathered for some formal (and not so formal) portraits. Then Mr. Coyote and I spent a few moments alone before heading out to join the rest of our guests for our cocktail hour.
- The reception begins with a rockin’ introduction.
- Westchester, NY
- Administrative Assistant
- Wedding Date:
- Franklin Plaza