Bridesmaids’ dresses are the total bane of my existence right now. I guess I’m not sure if I’m going about picking a dress correctly, because I feel like I’m having a way harder time at it than anyone else is.
I’m imagining dresses that are very soft and sweet.
I’m not really caring too much if they’re identical or just matchy. Shouldn’t that be easy? Half of me is trying to be very nonchalant about it, while the other half of me is about to tear my hair out.
My current problems:
- My three bridesmaids are scattered around the world. It’s not like we can all go to a store and pick out one and ta-da done. Trying on dresses would have to be done one at a time, and frankly there are way too many options out there.
- The color blue I have in mind is apparently not in style right now. It’s great if I find a cute dress that I like and my girls look good in, but often I’ll look at the swatches, and there really just isn’t a good blue option. What is up with that? I’m aware that they really can’t have every version of blue ever, but I really don’t think I’m being picky.
- All of my bridesmaids are different shapes/sizes. I don’t really want to just declare a style without seeing how it looks on them, but at the same time, I’m not sure there’s a style that will make everyone happy.
- I really dislike the standard bridesmaids’ dress. I feel like oftentimes, bridesmaids’ dresses have a very distinct style to them—a satin, bright color look that just screams bridesmaids’ dress. This reduces the rewearability of the dress, and at 200–300 dollars a pop (when they already have to fly in), it’s just a little too much.
- Too many cooks in the kitchen. I know everyone means well, and everyone has their own tastes, but it really makes it much more difficult to pick something when you know it probably won’t make everyone happy. I’m a people pleaser, especially when I feel weird having complete say in how someone looks at my wedding.
My current top contenders:
I really want it in this color:
I like that it’s convertible, so my girls can wear it however they want to on the day, but it’ll still be matchy. Furthermore, it means they should be able to wear it again because they can always just wear it differently. On the other hand, it’s really expensive. When I wouldn’t feel comfortable paying that much for a dress, it’s hard for me to ask my dearest friends to pay that much. I might be willing to split the cost, but still, it’s a lot of money.
The other dress is from ModCloth:
When the Night Comes Dress from ModCloth
I originally bought this dress for a friend’s wedding thinking, oh, I can totally find a better dress than this for my girls. Nope, I totally can’t—not at that price point, at least. It’s gorgeous, it comes in all sizes, it has free shipping both ways. I really want them to try it. If it looks good on them, I think it’ll just be the easiest/cheapest solution.
Picking a dress is seriously stressing me out, and I’m always reminded that even if we settle on a bridesmaids’ dress, there’s still the question of shoes, accessories, hair, and makeup. Aaaah!
Anyone have a really hard time finding bridesmaids’ dresses in the colors they want? Did you feel like bridesmaids’ dress shopping is harder than shopping for your dress? Did you just give up and settle? Has this affected the other colors in your wedding?
- Boston, MA
- Graduate Student
- Wedding Date:
- June 2013