Hi there. Remember me? I’m Mrs. Mouse. You may remember me for my short Sarah Seven dress or my vintage-suited, curly-headed groom, The Dude. We got married four years ago in a garden-party-inspired reception at a Certified Organic wedding venue in Austin, Texas. Recaps start here.
Here’s us then (September 2009):
And here we are now, on a visit to The Dude’s parents’ house in Colorado (August 2013):
The best thing that’s happened to us as a couple since we got married is:
The birth of our son Ossie. He’s 10 months old now and we’re loving life as a family of three.
How blogging about my wedding shaped my wedding day:
Blogging for our wedding undeniably changed our wedding. I deliberately chose to purchase things that would stand out in photos—like the vintage teacups I collected on eBay—in order to kick our wedding photos up a notch for the blog. I tried hard not to copy other bee bloggers exactly because I wanted to provide new and original content for Weddingbee; however, I wasn’t always successful with this (see our invitations that I pretty much stole from Mrs. Perfume!).
I was lucky enough to be able to carry on my love of weddings and blogging when Mrs. Penguin brought me on board the Weddingbee team in 2010. I’ve been helping to edit the blog ever since, and in January of this year I became the Community Liaison for Weddingbee, helping out behind the scenes to keep the Weddingbee moderation and hostess teams running smoothly. I could have never predicted this would turn into a career when I first began blogging for Weddingbee, but it’s been an amazing ride so far!
Why I chose my icon and how my icon has become a part of my identity:
I originally chose the Mouse icon because I thought it was cute and because I used to be quite shy as a child. I do remember meeting a fellow bee blogger once, and she told me that I was more outgoing than she’d expected me to be, so I guess I didn’t live up to my moniker?
My favorite post ever published on Weddingbee:
My favorite post I ever published on Weddingbee is probably “Shake It Like a Poladroid.” I was really proud of finding the Poladroid app to make digital images look like Polaroids, and I ended up using the app with photos from mine and The Dude’s childhoods to hang at our wedding reception. (Little did I know that Instagram would be coming soon, making this app completely irrelevant.)
Do you still blog/have you found another creative outlet for writing?
I used to blog about life things on my personal blog, but I haven’t really been keeping up with it since Ossie was born. I guess working for Weddingbee gives me enough of an outlet that I don’t feel the need to blog for myself at the moment!
- The best thing about being married is the feeling of security and love that my family surrounds me with.
- The worst thing about being married is knowing you can’t make irresponsible but fun decisions, like smoking, drinking/eating to excess, running up a credit card with fun purchases—all of your choices have consequences not only for you but for your spouse as well. (But it’s probably for the best!)
- The best thing we registered for was our honeymoon.
- The worst thing we registered for was our honeymoon (did not know honeymoon registries would become such a controversial topic!).
- When we fight, we make up by talking and talking and talking.
- The biggest challenge we’ve faced since getting married has been breastfeeding struggles with Ossie.
- The way my SO and I reconnect when we both get busy is watching Breaking Bad or Workaholics, or looking at pictures of Ossie while he sleeps (weird).
- When I have a disagreement with my in laws, we resolve it by talking it out. (I actually don’t think we’ve ever had a disagreement!)
- If we could do our wedding all over again, the one thing we’d change is invite the friends that inadvertently got left off the invite list. And maybe I’d wear a mint green floor-length gown.
- In five years, I hope that we have upgraded our kitchen and yard so that we can take full advantage of the awesome location of our house, and that we have found a great school for Ossie to start kindergarten at.
- July 2
- Weddingbee Editor & Community Liaison
- Wedding Date:
- September 2009
- Barr Mansion