Our cakes were some of my favorite “things” in our entire wedding.
The wedding cake was a three-tier multi-flavored cake with simple buttercream frosting and faux flowers sitting on each of the tiers. It was topped by my DIY Lollipop Workshop inspired cake topper, which is easily one of my proudest DIY wedding accomplishments.
This fun little topper now sits on our TV stand in our living room. It’s such a fun reminder of one of the happiest days of our lives!
When it came to our cake, the littlest details were not forgotten. I scored a groom Lego mini-figure for a few bucks off eBay, and had our baker slip it underneath the bottom tier of the cake. Mr. A is a Lego fanatic, and I figured he’d get a kick out of this little surprise!
We also DIY’ed the groom’s cake, again paying homage to Mr. A’s obsession with Lego. The inside was Funfetti, Mr. A’s favorite, and despite staying up until 3:00 AM the night before the wedding to get it finished, I think it turned out pretty darn awesome for an amateur like myself!
The DJ started playing “Sugar, Sugar” by the Archies, and we did our marital duties as we sliced that sucker open.
We had the “smear vs. no smear” discussion many times during wedding planning, and although Mr. A and I agreed to not smash each other’s faces with cake on our wedding day, I still felt it necessary to give him a “don’t even think about it” smirk. Luckily, he was sweet to me and stuck to our pact!
I like to call the next series of photos, “Mr. A’s First Time Popping a Champagne Cork.” It went like this:
I’m protecting my eyes”¦and my precious Kate Spade champagne saucer.
Up next, I’ll share our reception-detail photos before we get to boogie the night away!
- I gave you guys a recap of my recaps.
- I cried over cupcakes, we rehearsed, and stayed up until ungodly hours the night before our wedding day.
- We spent the whole morning and afternoon of the wedding day setting up the reception venue, and I massaged my own feet in the shower.
- Mr. A and his guys got dressed and had a mini photo session in the alley behind our church.
- Our photographer gets some shots of my wedding day accessories, and my ruby slippers are presented with their own personal photo session.
- I FINALLY get into my dress and I take some awesome pictures with my bridesmaids and Mama Dillo.
- I get a special, sentimental gift from Papa Dillo and I become obsessive about the time and take a few more pictures with the parentals before we head off to the ceremony!
- Everyone makes their grand entrance except for me, and I wallow in the misery of being by myself for 0.2 seconds.
- Papa Dillo walks me down the aisle, bawls his eyes out, and in turn creates the most outrageous chain reaction of blubbering ever.
- We say our vows and listen to some awesome scripture readings by good friends.
- MOH Henna and Bromadillo serenade us, we light our unity candle, and make out in front of the church as husband and wife!
- We gather together and have a super quick family portrait session at the church.
- We take some awesome outside shots with our bridal party, despite the fact that my bustle went MIA.
- We stuff our faces with awesome Italian food!
- Mr. A and I get toasted by our best man and maid of honor.
- I dance with the new man in my life, and the man who’s been there from the beginning.
- Houston, Texas
- Graduate Student
- Wedding Date:
- March 2013
- First Presbyterian Church/Bay City Civic Center