After our first touch, we headed inside to exchange gifts. I had thought long and hard about what to get Cam, and settled on a fancy watch. While we were scoping out jewelry stores for our wedding bands way back in the spring, we were browsing the cases and I started sneakily asking his opinions on various watches they had. I even got Groomsman App’s opinion on the matter—we settled on a nice, silver band with a white face Citizen watch. I had every intention of engraving the back of it and it was going to be great.
Cam had other ideas.
A month or so before the wedding, the day I decided to go buy said watch, Cam mentioned to me how much he had his eye on a particular watch and that he thought it would be really nice to wear the day of the wedding. A quick text to Groomsman App helped prevent him from purchasing the watch, but it also got me the information I needed. I went to the mall and instead of buying the Citizen watch I had intended, came home with a Fossil watch that Cam “loved to death” according to Groomsman App.
Umm…$300 less than I had been prepared to spend? No arguments here. Thanks for not being super fancy, Cam! I had it wrapped up pretty in a little box, and was ready to fork it over to BM Mom to deliver downstairs to Cam. Robert was there to take pictures, of course.
And then I realized…I forgot the card. I had already written it that morning, and I signed it “See you at 5:30”³ alluding to the watch. It was in my hotel room. And the ceremony was due to start in 30 minutes. I was so sad because it was so cute. I got it from an Etsy shop called “marrygrams” and it said “Today I have loved you for 1,436 days.” No worries, he got it the next morning when I had loved him for 1,437 days, and all was well.
Side note: Here’s what the card looked like. I got “Thanks for being my bridesmaid” cards from here as well, and they turned out so cute! Check them out.
Image via Marrygrams on Etsy
When BM Mom came upstairs from dropping off the gift, her hands were empty. Apparently Cam had forgotten the entire gift back at the hotel and was scrambling trying to find someone to bring it to me. I had a feeling I knew he would get me jewelry, but I had gotten some “backup” jewelry just in case. And good thing I did, or else my pre-ceremony photos would have not had a necklace or earrings!
Eventually, the present arrived and I sat down to open it.
Yes, those are Solo cups behind me. We’re nothing if not classy.
Flower Girl M wanted in on the action
Confession: I like the necklace I bought better with the neckline of my dress, but the one Cam picked out is so pretty. I, of course, opted for Cam’s, but sometimes I look at the photos and wish I had gone with the longer strand of pearls I bought myself. Marriage means sacrifices, ya’ll!
Did either of you forget your gifts for each other? Engaged bees—make sure you don’t do this! I felt awful, awful, awful. Luckily Cam married me anyway, even though I forgot the card!
Previously on Picture Perfect
- I beg you to take mental pictures so you don’t forget everything like I did.
- We hit the road for Charleston but not after putting out our new initial doormat!
- We eat seafood on the waterfront, and party in the USA on top of a hotel.
- We get our nails did and play with a bidet.
- Cam surprises me with the most romantic thing of all time.
- Our rehearsal dinner is a hit-complete with a custom groom’s cake for Cam!
- My wedding eve is much different from what I originally planned.
- My long awaited Starbucks run didn’t go quite as planned.
- I get my hair did and I love it.
- Our friends had a pool party and we weren’t invited.
- I have a wave of emotion hit me while the girls get dressed.
- Mama Camera’s handmade veil gets fastened to my head.
- Mama Camera sews my somethings into my dress.
- I put on the most important dress I’ll ever wear.
- We take girly photos
- Cam has some manly time
- We have a first un-look
- Charlotte, NC/Charleston, SC
- Physician Assistant
- Wedding Date:
- September 2013
- The Island House, Charleston, SC