Must Have Wedding Photos List
I trust our wedding photographer to get all the major must have wedding photos for us—the bride getting ready, the bride and groom saying their vows, the best man’s speech, etc. I also trust that she’ll be good at getting everyone in natural looking poses. She did a great job at alleviating my anxiety and awkwardness during the engagement session by giving us poses to try and tweaking them when we looked awkward. This is essential in a wedding photographer, because sometimes you think you look great/cute/hilarious/adorable in a photo, but really you just look strange.
When we posed for this, I thought it looked cute. But seeing the picture, I am confused at the angles. What, exactly, is going on here?
I probably won’t give our wedding photographer a comprehensive list of all the photos I want taken, but I do have a running list in my head (which is to say, Pinterest) of photos that might not be standard for every photographer—photos that I absolutely need to have. Here are my top 10 must have wedding photos.
1) The groom’s reaction as the bride walks down the aisle. Obviously, there will be pics of me walking down the aisle, but my favorite part of wedding ceremonies is seeing the groom’s reaction to it. (OK, maybe I stole that from 27 Dresses, but it really is a great part of wedding ceremonies!) A lot of weddings I see online omit these must have wedding photos (it’s possible that they took them but just didn’t include them in the blog posts), but I want to make sure I get Mr. Unicycle’s reaction! And he better cry at my devastating beauty!
Image via Joielala Photography
2) The “dad first look” and “bridesmaids first look.” I’m sensing a trend here. Maybe I’m being vain, but I want a reaction shot of my dad and bridesmaids too. This makes the top of my must have wedding photos list. Ever since I saw Mrs. Balloons’ post on the “dad first look,” I’ve wanted one of those too. I think parents always imagine what their daughter will look like on her wedding day, and my mom won’t get to see the reveal since she’ll be there to watch the transformation.
Photo by Meredith Perdue Photography
3) A group shot of all the guests. I was inspired by Mrs. Lox, among others, and I would really like to see this logistical nightmare come true. It sounds like a headache for everyone involved, but the pictures are so amazing.
4) Sassy drinking pictures. I don’t know why, but I love these two pictures and I want to copy them. Except I don’t drink beer, and nothing else seems as badass and as throw-back-able as a glass of beer. Can I do these poses with wine?? Or maybe a shot…
Photo by Miller + Miller
5) A picture of us holding a “thank you” banner. We held a date banner for our save the dates, and it would be kind of cool to continue the theme with a thank you banner to use for our thank you cards.
6) A photo of the sparkler sendoff. We’re basically doing a sparkler sendoff because I want the cool must have wedding photos from it. I also like the drama of the couple leaving in a special way. I’m sounding kind of vain again, aren’t I?
Image via National Geographic
Image via Martha Stewart Weddings
7) A backseat kissing shot. I love wedding pictures taken in cars. It seems so romantic and classic, perfect for our retro theme! We’ll be hopping into a limo after our sparkler sendoff, so I’m not sure if this will work, with the tinted windows and all.
Image via Mrs. Earrings on Weddingbee / Photo by Jane Sanders
8) The bridesmaids in sunglasses. I love cheap sunglasses (the song and the accessory), so I’m thinking of buying a few pairs for me and my bridesmaids to don in an ironic/hipster photo. Plus, it’ll be sunny out, so we might need them.
Photo by Bella Pictures
Image via flowersbythevase on Etsy
9) Informal bridesmaid pictures. I don’t want the bridesmaid pics to be overly posed and cheesy. I like the ones that just look like a group of friends hanging out. Because it’s totally natural for my sister-in-law, college roommate, grade school BFF, and high school BFF to all hang out, right? Cute pics like the one below make my list of must have wedding photos.
10) A candid pic of the Unicycles PDAing: Hey, it’s our wedding day! Sue me! A good PDA shot is definitely on our must have wedding photos list.
Photo by Oh Darling Photography
What are your must have wedding photos? What’s your favorite moment of every wedding?