A Foxy Fête: Rise and Shine!

If you asked me, I would tell you that I got absolutely no sleep the night before (or really, morning of) the wedding. If you asked MOH Copper, she’d tell you that I was snoring like a man for a good half hour while she finished writing her toast in bed next to me. Either way, I distinctly remember feeling too excited to sleep but too tired to move. That, and having my alarm set for five in the morning, even though I was definitely up before then.

So we know that I got at least 30 minutes of sleep!

I remember going over it all in my head…this was it. This was really, finally it. Today was the day I was going to marry Foxy. It was the culmination of over two years of planning, of DIY projects, of countless celebrations of our love, and countless moments of stress. It was the end of the wedding-planning journey, but just the beginning of the rest of our lives together (despite how incredibly cheesy that sounds). In just a few short hours, he would be my husband, I would be his wife, and we’d be celebrating the next chapter of our lives with our nearest and dearest. (That, and I would have to get used to referring to him in a whole new way…because I definitely called him a nice little blend of words—-my boy-ancé—for a while after we first got engaged!)

Needless to say, it was about darn time for this day to be here, and I was more than ready to get the show on the road. And so, at five on the dot, I clambered out of bed and into the shower as MOH Copper whined at me from the bed. Can you blame her? I’m pretty sure no one but myself would actually be excited to have gotten a whopping half hour of sleep the night before what was sure to be a long and crazy day! And it’s not like we were having a morning wedding or anything—the ceremony was slated for 4:00 PM with pictures to take place beforehand—but we had a lot of things to do in the six or so hours before mine and Foxy’s first look…starting with us women getting our hair and makeup done by the lovely ladies of Metro Elegance!


Breezy B had to start hair super early because she was doing a total of seven updos—mine, four of the bridesladies’, my mom’s and my stepsister’s. Lauren had to start makeup early largely because she had two other events that day, but here’s the cool thing about airbrush makeup—it actually looks better the more it settles in throughout the day! So, around six, Lauren got started on my makeup…


…as Breeze got started on the girls’ hair.


This was also around the time that I officially lost custody of my phone. Foxy had made it a rule several months before the wedding that I would not have access to it—any and all inquiries, complaints, etc., were to go through the phone’s custodian for the day, Brideslady M, before they reached my attention. To be honest, I didn’t really miss it much and no one really tried to contact me anyway. So…a win for me being able to go almost a whole day sans phone! (Trust me, that’s a feat in and of itself.)

Anyway, Brideslady M and MOH Copper were such troopers with their early morning hair slots, especially since they started out sans coffee or any other form of caffeine. While one of the pros of staying at a bed and breakfast was that breakfast and coffee were served on premises, said coffee was not available to us early risers until almost 7:30 AM. And I, for one, need my caffeine. Those first two and a half hours of being awake and semi-functioning were rough, yo.


Finally with coffee, my saving grace!

Come 8:00 AM, as we all got hopped up on caffeine and the ladies continued getting their hair done, other friends and family staying at the Vandiver started to wake up and mill about—everyone except Foxy, that is. I didn’t find this out until much later, but he was apparently locked up in the room he was staying in all morning, right up until just moments before our first look. He couldn’t even leave to get breakfast himself (no worries, someone brought it to him)! I felt terrible about it when I found out, especially since I was running around like I owned the place for much of the morning. But if you think about it…he kind of needed to stay put, you know? I had a lot to organize—some last-minute things to put together and delegate out…in fact, I was literally right outside his window at one point when I was arranging the fabric on the gazebo and hanging paper hearts from the ceremony chairs!


I guess I thought there was some magical bride lookout team that kept the two of us apart all morning, as opposed to no one letting him leave his room? Newsflash: no. Foxy was just prohibited from leaving, plain and simple. Poor dude!

At a certain point, with Foxy locked up in his room and me running around the venue trying to get as much decorated and put together as possible, I remember starting to fret (as I do). Breeze was done with most of the girls’ hair, my mom was out getting her nails done, and things seemed to be coming to a standstill. Were we running behind? We had to be close to running behind…I had been up for forever and we still had so much left to do…right?! I asked John about when we could get a table for the faux-to booth to be set up, asked how the cocktail hour bar would be arranged, asked where the extra table for the ceremony was going to go. To which he replied “Miss Fox…it’s only 10:30 AM.”

Oh. Right. So I still had almost three freaking hours until I actually had to do anything or be anywhere. I guess that’s what being awake since 5:00 AM will do to you.

And so, I did what anyone in my position would do. I found Breezy B, took a seat, and had me a delicious glass of champagne.


It’s like a mimosa…just without the OJ.

(All above pictures are personal photos.)

What is/was your plan for the morning of the wedding in regard to seeing or not seeing your SO? Hopefully they won’t be locked up like Foxy was!!


It’s Wedding Week!

We’re Cool People (who had to deal with a slight change of plans)

Practice Makes Perfect…and Crabs Don’t Hurt, Either


Mrs. Fox

Washington DC/Havre de Grace, MD
Wedding Date:
June 2012
Madly in Love: E-Pics Part 1
Shower the People You Love with Love*
Add a comment


  1. Member
    LissaBeans 340 posts, Helper bee @ 1:41 pm

    “It’s like a mimosa…just without the OJ.” I LOVE.

  2. mstoadstool Bee
    mstoadstool 2485 posts, Buzzing bee @ 1:46 pm

    Poor Foxy! Locked up the entire day!
    It’ll be easy for us since we’re not staying at our venue, I don’t know what we’d do otherwise.

  3. Member
    MissSpark 180 posts, Blushing bee @ 4:44 pm

    I wonder all the time how we’ll manage not to see each other the day of, his groomsmen told me they “have it under control.” I’m not sure how I feel about that!

  4. mspony Bee
    mspony 9265 posts, Buzzing Beekeeper @ 5:27 pm

    You look gorgeous lady! And, I’m sure Foxy didn’t mind being holed up, he had something wonderful to look forward to once he was let out 🙂

  5. coyote Bee
    coyote 2051 posts, Buzzing bee @ 5:36 pm

    Ahahaha, I woke up at 5 AM too and was convinced we were going to be late. Uh, yea we ended up being over a half hour early because I am paranoid like that. 😀

  6. msfairy Bee
    msfairy 976 posts, Busy bee @ 4:47 am

    I wish I had started earlier! I didnt get up until 6:30 but so glad I slept a little longer. You’re getting ready shots were beautiful!

  7. Member
    stephk527 987 posts, Busy bee @ 11:02 am

    I have butterflies reading this. I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL IT IS MY TURN.
    Okay, semi-selfish freakout over: your makeup looks BOSS, lady (see what I did there?!) and although it was bananas to be up and getting shizzle done so early, I’m sure it was awesome to be able to get shizzle done so early.

add a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors