I spent way too much time worrying about Best Man M’s speech when I really should have been worrying about the ladies’ speech. When I asked MOH A and MOH D to be my maids of honor, I told them they were welcome to approach the speech in whatever way made them comfortable. If they each wanted to give a short speech, that was fine. If they wanted to give a speech together, that was also fine. If one wanted to give a speech and the other didn’t? A-Okay! I really just wanted them to be comfortable and not feel pressured.
Because MOH A, MOH D and I all grew up together, they decided to give a combined speech. MOH D even typed it all up and noted who would say what. When we were getting ready in the morning they commented multiple times on how great their speech was and how excited they were to read it to everyone.
(MOH D on the left and MOH A on the right.)
Of course, that was before MOH A had a few too many at the cocktail hour. Granted that’s what it’s there for, but when you know you’re giving a speech don’t ya think you would show a little restraint?! In MOH A’s defense it was an open bar. I’d have a hard time saying no, too. 😉 MOH D tried her best to save the speech, but it just wasn’t happening. MOH A had taken complete control. She was reading MOH D’s lines instead of her own, she was making things up as she went along…it was just a general disaster!
She came up with such gems like, “I’ve known Mrs. Coyote for”¦I dunno, a really long time” and, “Soooo yea, you guys had some rough times, but you got through them. Yea, just like you would as a married couple I guess.”
At the time I was completely mortified and kept whispering in my head, “Please shut up. Please shut up. Please, please, please shut up!” Eventually they did shut up and there were some really sweet portions, but overall it was just a complete bomb.
The video is cringeworthy, but thankfully the photos look pretty cute so we’re gonna stick with that. At first I thought I would never live down the fact we had such a horrible speech at our wedding, but now that it’s three months behind us, it’s just a really funny story. Oh, and not only do I constantly tease my girls about their disaster of a speech, but now I have plenty of ammo for when MOH A gets married. 😉
Thankfully, my uncle followed them with a beautiful blessing and we moved on to dinner!
“Would you all please stand and bow your heads?
For the sumptuous food and tender roast,
For the invitation from our gracious host,
For Mrs. Coyote whom Mr. Coyote loves the most,
Let us give grace to the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost.
*All photos are by the fabulous Upstate Photographers unless otherwise noted.*
Miss a recap?
- I babble about being married and share our wedding video.
- We finish up some last-minute wedding tasks and pre-wedding jitters set in the day before the wedding.
- We practice getting married and then head to our rehearsal dinner where I shed my first tears of the weekend. We later wind down with our families back at the hotel.
- My bridesmaids get pretty and I get a special message from Mr. Coyote.
- I try to cope when things don’t go quite as planned, but thankfully I quickly bounce back and then it was time to become a bride. Meanwhile, Mr. Coyote was calm as a cucumber as he got ready with the dads and groomsmen.
- I finish getting ready and see an unexpected guest on my way to our first look.
- It was finally time to cross the street and meet my groom!
- We spend some time with our wedding party and then some time alone. Ceremony time was rapidly approaching.
- Our ceremony begins with the family and bridesmaid processional and continues with the bridal processional.
- I share the full text of our ceremony.
- We recess and my father gives us a very special wedding gift.
- Our friends and family gathered for some formal (and not so formal) portraits. Then Mr. Coyote and I spent a few moments alone before heading out to join the rest of our guests for our cocktail hour.
- The reception begins with a rockin’ introduction. Followed by our first dance and parent dances.
- Best Man M knocks us all out of the park with his speech.
- Westchester, NY
- Administrative Assistant
- Wedding Date:
- June 2012
- Franklin Plaza