It’s the age old question: to first look or not to first look? I was pro, Cam was anti. There was no compromise…or so I thought?
Somewhere along the way of wedding planning, I started seeing photos of couples taking pre-ceremony portraits together, but not actually seeing each other. We’ve all seen them—hand holding around a door, smiling bride and groom on either side of a corner, or one on a balcony, another on the ground floor. I didn’t think it had a name, but our day-of coordinator called it a “First Touch.” I literally laughed out loud when she called it that to my face.
While you don’t get the benefit of having extra time allotted for portraits, you do get a pretty cute photo-op. Cam is super old school sometimes, and this was one of those—he absolutely, positively did not want to see me before the ceremony. Which is both frustrating and romantic at the same time. Luckily, these photos ended up pretty nice, and I got to hold his hand for a minute.
The conversation we had was hilarious:
Cam: “Hi, how are you?”
Me: “I’m pretty good, how are you?”
Cam: “Good. Hey! Ryan surprised us with a keg of Oberon for the bus!”
Me: “Shut up and smile, Robert is taking pictures.”
While Cam kept looking at the camera, I snuck behind him and back into the house. Halfway up the stairs I realized I forgot Cam’s card, and I was devastated. Little did I know that Cam forgot my entire gift, and had to call a guest to drive over early and bring it to him. We’re so organized.
Previously on Picture Perfect
- I beg you to take mental pictures so you don’t forget everything like I did.
- We hit the road for Charleston but not after putting out our new initial doormat!
- We eat seafood on the waterfront, and party in the USA on top of a hotel.
- We get our nails did and play with a bidet.
- Cam surprises me with the most romantic thing of all time.
- Our rehearsal dinner is a hit-complete with a custom groom’s cake for Cam!
- My wedding eve is much different from what I originally planned.
- My long awaited Starbucks run didn’t go quite as planned.
- I get my hair did and I love it.
- Our friends had a pool party and we weren’t invited.
- I have a wave of emotion hit me while the girls get dressed.
- Mama Camera’s handmade veil gets fastened to my head.
- Mama Camera sews my somethings into my dress.
- I put on the most important dress I’ll ever wear.
- We take girly photos.
- Cam has some manly time.