I remember being super excited when it was finally time for dessert! Our favorite baker ever, Jeremy at Eclair Bakery in Arroyo Grande, made our cake and cupcakes, so their deliciousness was pretty much guaranteed.
We did have a little mix up though. Remember how my mom found the vintage pink cake stands I wanted on eBay? And how we were going to have a little 6″ cake on the top tier, and cupcakes on the bottom two? Well, when the cake arrived, the cardboard circle that the 6″ cake came on was too big to fit on the top tier, so it ended up going on the middle tier. So our cake tower ended up being a variety of cake stands scattered around the cake table.
And seriously, I could care less! That’s the fun part of your wedding day. You realize that even if all the little things you were afraid of going wrong actually go wrong, it really doesn’t matter!
And remember the vintage cake topper that I made over to resemble Mr. Turtle and me? Well, literally minutes before the ceremony, I happened to ask my mom how it looked on the cake. She went outside to check on it and realized that no one had ever removed it from the little Juicy Couture bag I’d stored it in inside the bedroom closet! Oops! Of course our wedding coordinator had already noticed the empty cake and made it look pretty with some pink garden roses from our florist! Talk about being on top of things!
As cute as the flowers look in the picture on the left though, I’m so glad I remembered the cake topper, since I’d worked so hard on it!
Our baker made four flavors of cupcakes for our guests to choose from: lemon (not pictured),
Chocolate Dipped (Chocolate cupcake with whipped cream on top, dipped in chocolate… yum!)
Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Frosting
and of course, my personal favorite: Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup!
When it came time for us to cut the cake, I couldn’t stop laughing at how awkward it was. Even though I love baking cakes, I suck at cutting them! Mr. Turtle helped hold the cake topper steady as I proceeded to cut out a pile of chocolate cake crumbs!
Finally, I managed to get the pile of crumbs onto a plate!
Mr. Turtle gently fed me my bite…
And as everyone cheered him on to rub the cake in my face, I gave him a look that said, “Seriously? You think I’m the type of girl who wants cake smashed on her face? I know you know better!” So of course he didn’t dare.
After feeding Mr. Turtle his bite, I took the plate of cake crumbs and claimed it as all mine!
Lucky me! (Go get your own cake, Mr. Turtle!)
I hope you’re ready for some laughs, because my next recap post will cover a couple of funny stories from our wedding day!
In case you missed out on any of my earlier recap posts:
- So Happy Together: The Rehearsal
- So Happy Together: The Rehearsal Dinner
- So Happy Together: The Wedding Morning & Bridal Details
- So Happy Together: The Girls Get Ready
- So Happy Together: The BFF Shots
- So Happy Together: Bridesmaid Portraits
- So Happy Together: Groomsman Portraits
- So Happy Together: And Here Comes the Bride!
- So Happy Together: Now Pronounced Husband and Wife
- So Happy Together: Cocktail Hour & Family Pictures
- So Happy Together: Wedding Party Portraits
- So Happy Together: Just the Two of Us
- So Happy Together: Everyone Wants Candy
- So Happy Together: The Photobooth Experience
- So Happy Together: Reception Details
- So Happy Together: Wedding Party Entrance & Time to Eat!
- So Happy Together: Toasts