Hoppily Ever After: Breaking Dawn

Sorry for the lame-o title. Guys, I’m only a few posts into my wedding recaps, and I’ve already run out of clever titles. I’ve resorted to ripping off mega popular tween movie titles. Sorry about that. No vampires ahead, just early morning adventures at the Wallaby casa.

Where I left off, we fêted our rehearsal at Américas Restaurant, showered our wedding party with gifts, and Mr. W and I shared an emotional ride back to our house. Mr. W dropped me off around 2:00 AM, and between the pampering, the stressful rehearsal, the catching up with old friends and family, and several glasses of wine, I was toast. I fell asleep in two seconds flat.

The next morning, I awoke before everyone else. (Mr. W was staying at his parents’ house, but the out-of-town bridesmaids were sleeping on our living room couches, Mama and Papa Wallaby had taken over our guest bedroom, and Cousin K was fast asleep on the floor of our office. It was a very full house.)

The week of the wedding, the weather forecasts were very unclear about what to expect on our wedding day. One weather website forecasted a 60% chance of rain, while another predicted sunshine. What the heck, weather people? I had no idea what would go down on our wedding day. I just hoped, prayed, and crossed all my fingers and toes that it would be sunny so the wedding could take place outside under the big old oak tree at Oak Tree Manor.

So when I slipped out of bed on Saturday morning, I yanked open the blinds…and beautiful sunlight streamed in the window. I was like:


Peering out at the fields of beautiful blooms at the Skagit Tulip Festival in 2009 / Personal photo

I could not believe how lucky we were that the sun was shining down on our wedding day. Houstonians, y’all can commiserate with me: Houston weather is notoriously unpredictable. November is technically the last month of hurricane season, so we could’ve had a massive storm on our hands. Or 105 degree weather with 95% humidity.

So. Weather: check!

Still in my pajamas, I sat down at the little desk in our bedroom and began writing my vows.

Yes, I wrote my vows the morning of our wedding. I am just that bad of a procrastinator. I had typed up some ideas in a Microsoft Word document that I hid in a folder on my computer, but I waited until the last minute to turn the short strings of words (gibberish, really) into full sentences that would bring Mr. W to his knees.

Experienced as I am with whipping up 500 words at the eleventh hour, I spent some time crafting my vows to Mr. W. I began crying my eyes out as I reminisced on our relationship and all of the things we promised each other for the future. I looked through old photos, and I read every page of the handmade book with our bucket list I had given Mr. W a couple years ago for his birthday.

There was so much that I wanted to say to Mr. W. I love that man to the moon and back. But for the sake of brevity (and fear of public speaking), I kept my vows short and sweet. I hand wrote them on a sheet of card stock leftover from the DIY projects, and I folded up the paper and tucked it into my dress’s garment bag. If I was going to leave one thing behind, it would not be my vows! (Nor my dress! 😉 )

My vows / Photo by Mustard Seed Photography

Now it was time to get a move on. We had a wedding to get to, and I, for one, was not going to be late. I wandered out into the living room, where Maid of Honor N, Maid of Honor A, and Friend K were just starting to wake up. My parents, ever the morning birds, had gone out for a coffee, but they soon returned, and all of us munched on some bagels and fruit for breakfast.

I had a lot of last-minute projects to do. I had realized that I didn’t finish making signs for the guestbook, the gifts table, etc., so I started printing out graphics and slapping together quick signs at a mile a minute. I had to shave my legs and pack a wedding-night sleepover bag. (Two words: makeup remover.) Luckily, I had already packed a getting-ready bag to take to the venue with my robe, flip-flops, perfume, earrings, wedding shoes, veil, garter, and some little toiletries for touch-ups. Finally, everybody was ready, everything was packed up, and we all piled into two cars to drive to the venue.

Five minutes on the road, we hit a colossal traffic jam.

I commute two-plus hours a day, but I still have no patience for traffic. I made a quick panicky phone call to Mr. W, but he reassured me that everything would be OK (the ceremony wasn’t for another six hours), and eventually the gridlock cleared and we were on our way again.

At Oak Tree Manor, things were starting to come together. When we arrived, the Oak Tree Manor staff was setting up the dinner tables and the ceremony chairs, and the dance floor guy was busy putting together our rented wooden dance floor. I knew that the clock was ticking, so I grabbed some boxes of decorations and started setting things up. Soon our fabulous florist, Lisa, arrived with her husband to drop off our vintage vases overflowing with pretty floral arrangements. Hive, I can’t tell you all how excited I was to see everything we planned for over 10 months being created before my eyes. And the flowers—oh.my.word. I don’t want to reveal too much right now, but here’s a little sneak-peek:


A dreamy tablescape / Photo by Mustard Seed Photography

It was a little humid, and I was starting to sweat from running all over the place setting things up. There was still so much to do. I was dragging our DIY cornhole boards onto the lawn when Teri, our day-of coordinator, pulled up in the driveway. Teri, the sweetest woman I know, arrived hours before schedule to help set up my crazy-long list of DIY projects. So since there were a lot of hands to help out, the bridesmaids pulled me up to the bridal suite in the Oak Tree Manor house to start getting ready.

Next up: hair and makeup!


Miss a recap? Previously:


Mrs. Wallaby

Wedding Date:
November 2012
The Rainbow Connection: Going to the Chapel of Love
Add a comment


  1. bat Bee
    bat 285 posts, Helper bee @ 2:08 pm

    Oh my goodness, that sneak peak of your flowers is DIVINE: they are gorgeous! Can’t WAIT to see more!!

  2. Member
    lealorali 4827 posts, Honey bee @ 2:31 pm


  3. Member
    shaynapunim 654 posts, Busy bee @ 4:01 pm

    I’m loving your recaps!! 🙂

  4. msarmadillo Bee
    msarmadillo 497 posts, Helper bee @ 5:42 pm

    LOVE LOVE LOVE those flowers! Can’t wait to see more!

  5. Member
    cicijapan 263 posts, Helper bee @ 1:40 am

    I love those vases!!

  6. Guest Icon Guest
    Liondragoncstom, Guest @ 5:02 am

    It tells us about all the planning and arrangement on the wedding day.

  7. mspony Bee
    mspony 9265 posts, Buzzing Beekeeper @ 7:43 am

    What a busy morning! I can’t wait to see how it all turns out 🙂

add a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors