While we were galavanting in the backyard, taking pictures on docks, couches and running from threatening sights, our guests were busy socializing in the front yard at cocktail hour.
One of the best things about our venue, The Island House, was that while it was simply a house with a large yard, it lent itself to having separate locations for different parts of the wedding. I’ve seen photos of couples that chose to have their ceremony in front of the house, but to me, you just couldn’t beat the view of the water with the sun low in the sky at 5pm. However, we definitely wanted to incorporate the front of the house, and cocktail hour was just the ticket.
We don’t have many photos of the cocktail hour since Robert, our photographer, was busy trying to help us outrun sharknados and such, but it looked just like I’d hoped. Friends and family gathered together, drinking booze and eating.
We debated for a while on how to do the music for the cocktail hour, because it seemed silly to have to drag all the speakers and music equipment from the back of the house to the front of the house and then back again, so we ultimately went with a premade playlist (made by yours truly) on an iPod speaker. This actually worked out pretty well because it gave us a chance to play our “weird indie music” that was a bit too slow for the reception. If you’re interested, here’s the final playlist:
Cocktail Hour Playlist:
- Amos Lee – “Sweet Pea”
- Rogue Wave – “Eyes”
- Mumford & Sons – “Sigh No More”
- Jack Johnson – “Sitting, Waiting, Wishing”
- Ben Harper – “In the Colors”
- Florence + the Machine – “Cosmic Love”
- Coldplay – “Green Eyes”
- Bon Iver – “Skinny Love”
- Grizzly Bear – “Two Weeks”
- Bright Eyes – “The First Day of My Life”
- Cat Power – “Sea of Love”
- The Avett Brothers – “At the Beach”
- The XX – “Islands”
- The Flaming Lips – “Do You Realize?”
- Coconut Records – “West Coast”
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs – “Maps”
- The Lumineers – “Stubborn Love”
- Empire of the Sun – “Walking on a Dream”
- Guster – “Satellite”
- Dr. Dog – “Heart it Races”
- John Mayer – “Something Like Olivia”
- Noah and the Whale – “Five Years Time”
- Ryan Adams – “When the Stars Go Blue”
- Bon Iver – “Flume”
- Sufjan Stevens – “To Be Alone With You”
- Jose Gonzalez – “Heartbeats”
- The Lumineers – “Ho Hey”
- Coldplay – “Beautiful World”
- Bon Iver – “Holocene”
This playlist was a last minute project that I unfortunately procrastinated on, and I ideally would have added a few more of “our songs,” but let’s face it—it was an hour of people drinking and eating. Nobody was listening to the music. I actually had a freak out moment in the car on the way down to Charleston where I wasn’t sure if the “musical transitions were right.” I’m sure Cam was thrilled to listen to the first five seconds of all these songs over and over again until I was sure the “mood was right.”
Moral of the Story: Don’t stress about your cocktail hour playlist, feel free to steal mine, or just play School House Rock songs—nobody will notice the difference.
Previously on Picture Perfect:
- I beg you to take mental pictures so you don’t forget everything like I did.
- We hit the road for Charleston but not after putting out our new initial doormat!
- We eat seafood on the waterfront, and party in the USA on top of a hotel.
- We get our nails did and play with a bidet.
- Cam surprises me with the most romantic thing of all time.
- Our rehearsal dinner is a hit-complete with a custom groom’s cake for Cam!
- My wedding eve is much different from what I originally planned.
- My long awaited Starbucks run didn’t go quite as planned.
- I get my hair did and I love it.
- Our friends had a pool party and we weren’t invited.
- I have a wave of emotion hit me while the girls get dressed.
- Mama Camera’s handmade veil gets fastened to my head.
- Mama Camera sews my somethings into my dress.
- I put on the most important dress I’ll ever wear.
- We take girly photos.
- Cam has some manly time.
- We have a first un-look.
- Despite both being forgetful, we exchange gifts.
- I have a super sweet moment with my mom, while Cam shows off his socks.
- The procession begins.
- The most important walk of my life
- We FINALLY GET MARRIED.
- We take lots of photos.
- My outdoor lounge is a success