Yes, we already saw each other at the tea ceremony. We even had lunch together. But if we’re going to see each other again in my final outfit of the day, why not make it a big deal? So, while the Wingmen finished their photo shoot, the Hotties tried to shield me with their parasols until it was time.
When I got the signal that it was my turn to approach the men, I quickly realized that I had not specified that I wanted Mr. Hot Wings to be waiting for me alone on the cliff. (Check out my shoes as I approach. I totally love it!)
This is what I was approaching. What the heck? The Wingmen decided they would create a human barrier. Is this Mr. Hot Wings or Mr. President? Can you tell the sunglasses we gifted them got to their heads? The badass factor was in full effect. To be honest, I was kind of upset when I saw this. I didn’t want the Wingmen to be there for this moment. Upon reflection, however, I think it’s totally hilarious, and I completely dig it.
I approached Mr. Hot Wings alone in hopes that it would signal to the Wingmen to get the heck outta there. They eventually got the hint, and the sea of men parted.
Because of the Wingmen confusion, I walked more toward Mr. Hot Wing’s side than his back. So as I approached, he could actually see me. Oops.
I did the finger tap.
…and the reaction. A little laughing as Mr. Hot Wings tells me I’m weird for walking up to him from the side, and he could already see me. A little bit of me complimenting him, then him complimenting me, followed by a big hug. But then…
He wouldn’t give me a kiss!?! He actually hadn’t kissed me all day. He kept saying we weren’t supposed to kiss until the civil ceremony. Silly man. I told him that no such tradition or rule exists. He was so convinced. So here we are at our first look about to go into our formal portraits. He thought about it.
I squeezed a bit tighter and told him, “Honey, if you don’t kiss me now for the first time on our wedding day, our first kiss will be when the photographers make us kiss during our portraits.” I actually believe this photo is the exact moment that I was saying this.
Look who won this one! Good man.
And see, Mr. Hot Wings…aren’t you glad you did that?
You just can’t plan first looks like that, can you? It wasn’t exactly what I had imagined, nor did I realize that Mr. Hot Wings had made up rules of his own for it, but it was a beautiful and fun memory still.
A couple tips for planning:
- Plan your first look like it’s a ceremony. Tell everyone what you want it to look like. If you don’t, then just go with the flow and let it be captured as it is.
- Walk up to his back, NOT his side. Do as I say, not as I did.
- Make sure you ask your partner what s/he envisions the first look to be like. Don’t just plan for when you’ll see each other for the first time. Also ask when you expect your first kiss will be. I was shocked when Mr. Hot Wings totally made up a no kissing rule.
- Not really a rule, but just something to consider: First looks can be a pure photo op. If you come from the “know your rules so you can break them” camp like I do, then so what if you’ve already seen each other on the day of? Think of the first look as a photo op for the two of you. I didn’t care that we had already seen each other; we still wanted to do this “first look,” and we did. No one questioned us or cared.
*All photos by the ever fab Hanssie Trainor unless noted otherwise.*
Do you need to catch up with the hotness?
- Spilling the Beans on Our Recaps (wedding video)
- With this Wing: Let the Recaps Begin
- With this Wing: Welcome to Our Wedding Weekend
- With this Wing: Let’s Practice
- With this Wing: Street Taco Rehearsal Dinner Details
- With this Wing: Wedding Eve
- With this Wing: Make Me a Hottie (Women getting ready)
- With this Wing: The Wingmen Clean Up Well (Groomsmen get ready)
- With this Wing: Tea Ceremony Prep
- With this Wing: Tea Ceremony Details
- With this Wing: Tea Ceremony Processional Gifts
- With this Wing: Tea Ceremony Processional
- With this Wing: First Family Lunch
- With this Wing: Wedding Party Gifts
- With this Wing: Wingmen Poses
- With this Wing: Family Poses
- With this Wing: The Little People