It was rather late in the evening when I started the Wraparound Labels for the Save the Dates. Mamita Pom and I had been “crafting” these STDs for about 8 hours at this point (including a 30 minute trip to Michael’s to get the Xyron unstuck, our 2.5 hour stay at Kinko’s and a 1.5 hour dinner break). I was determined to see at least ONE finished product that evening.
I fed each 8.5″ x 11″ color printed sheet into the Xyron sticker maker. We chose a laminated and permanent sticker cartridge.
I had an idea in mind – simply to create a label with a length equal to the width of a portrait-oriented letter-sized piece of paper. This would make trimming very simple. I think I was inspired by a Martha Stewart label I had seen in Michaels during my Valentine’s Day crafting. I quickly whipped something up in Illustrator.
The Xyron sticker maker is electricity free and has its own built-in trimmer.
Once I fed each sheet of six labels through the Xyron, I trimmed off the excess paper and Xyron material. Then I trimmed around the block of labels using my paper trimmer’s ruler as a guide. Finally, I trimmed each individual label from its block of six. This is a task best done while watching a good movie – or in my case, past episodes of Alias.
I decided to use the remaining paper that I used for the Save the Dates themselves (Paper Source Superfine Soft White Cover) for the Wraparound Labels. Since it was cover weight paper, I felt it would be necessary to score the fold that would wrap around the side of the envelopes. Fortunately for me, Mamita Pom had the Scoring addition to her paper cutter.
With just a quick swipe across the crease of each label, I was done! Time to apply one of my finished labels to an envelope and check out my handy work.
I think the benefit to using the cover weight paper stock was that it was easier to peel off the sticker backing from each label. It was a quick and easy process. Soon I had a huge stack of labeled Save the Dates, ready for postage.
Below you will find the final product – a damask bordered address label with a fine moss green stroke. The addresses were printed in the same Copasetic font as the Save the Date itself.
I included a sneak peek of our custom designed monogram above our return address for the back of the envelope. I used the concept of the Copasetic font “K” to create a Frank Lloyd Wright-esque block. Since our first names both begin with “K” and my married name will begin with an “M” – I love how the two “K’s” combined seem to make an “M” shape between them.
Coming Soon, in the last installation, I will go over the costs involved with undertaking the design and DIY of our own Save the Dates. Stay tuned!!