Hello, Hive! Don’t mind me, just popping in because I couldn’t resist the oh-so-fun “Secret Life of Bees” feature! Not that there’s anything earth-shattering, but…
Six random facts from the life of a Tulip:
In the spirit of Miss Hot Cocoa’s post, a photo of my worst nightmare. I literally cannot view this photo with more than my peripheral vision!
1. Anything involving fingernails Freaks. Me. Out.
I can clip my own nails, but as a child it took many long minutes and lots of emotional coaching to face the task. Any thought of actual nail trauma makes me want to pee. Between that and my bat-like hearing, Mr. T can only cut his nails when I am out of the house.
2. I can turn both feet around, simultaneously, to face behind me.
3. I had my first kiss at 21. There were a few dates before, but not many. In high school, I was far too shy to even talk to a boy. And college was the opposite problem ”“ there were so many boys around there wasn’t any challenge in it. Dating seemed more boring than the other things I could do with my time. (Which, actually, didn’t change even after 21. I didn’t get into dating till I fell in love for the first time, at 28.)
4. In high school, I read “the great books” for fun. And it’s been straight downhill from there! Now I’m addicted to detective novels ”“ to judge from my reading list, it appears 1 in 5 Americans is a serial killer.
5. In the days before modern medicine, I would have been legally blind (contacts), snaggletoothed (orthodontia), deformed (scoliosis brace), and dead at 26.
6. In light of #3, I had only one serious, multi-year relationship before Mr. T. He worked for a rock star. (No names, but let’s just say his employer was also his Boss”¦) Dating someone on tour was miserable. But having free range at concerts? Totally, once-in-a-lifetime, amazing! Turns out “access” is totally seductive, and now I have trouble going to concerts because I hate being stuck in nosebleed seats with the rest of the lucky-to-have-gotten-tickets-at-all nameless thousands. (But being stuck there with Mr. T? Totally worth it!)