As with most couples planning their weddings, I’m much more into the planning of this wedding than Mr. Socks. This doesn’t really bother me most days because I do greatly enjoy the research and the work, and when I do need help, usually it only requires asking. Maybe asking a few times with an increasingly whiny pitch to my voice, but Mr. Socks has been very willing to put some time and effort into the wedding because he knows it’s for both of us.
I wanted to give Mr. Socks a few tasks that he could work on with minimal input from me—basically, I wanted to give him the jobs that I didn’t have the time/energy/sanity to do. Do you want to know how he’s done so far??
- Book an officiant for our civil ceremony. Check! We have an officiant for this Saturday, and while it took some prodding and poking to get him to do it, it is done and I didn’t have to stress over it too much.
- Figure out everything to do to get our marriage license. Check! We picked up our marriage license today!
- Research, Book and Prepare for our Honeymoon. Check! Mr. Socks LOVES to plan our vacations. He’s actually pretty adorable—he puts together interactive PowerPoints for me, detailing all of our stops, possible restaurants and vineyards to check out, a time and money breakdown of where we’ll be, what we’ll see, and then he usually has back-up plans too if something goes wrong! I really appreciate his enthusiasm for planning vacations—it’s one of those things that I want to enjoy, not plan. I’m so glad he loves it”¦it makes it so much easier on me!
- Book Transportation. Check! I researched a ton of different transportation companies, handed off the info to Mr. Socks, and he booked everything—we’ll get an oh-so-sexy 14 passenger white van for four hours to shuttle us to our photo location and back. It was about $700 cheaper than a limo that would hold the same amount of people, so it was a win for us!
Yep. This is our super-sexy van. Ooooh, Ahhh.
- Keep the budget. Check”¦I think”¦Honestly, I haven’t paid attention to the budget. I’m going mainly off of eyeballing prices and whether or not it’s too expensive. I keep an eye on my checking account, and as long as it doesn’t get too low, we’re on budget! Mr. Socks has been keeping careful track of everything he’s spent and saved for the wedding, but I, on the other hand, have not. So I guess the fact that the budget isn’t completely up-to-date is my fault. So, check for Mr. Socks! Fail for Miss Socks.
- Contact/Correspond with DJ. Nope. Not yet. And this one is my fault. I’ll email Mr. Socks our DJ’s info so he can get to work on this job!
And there you have it! There have certainly been smaller things that he’s done for the wedding, but those are the biggies that I just didn’t want to touch. I must say”¦even though I’ve nagged a bit, he’s done pretty well! I may have freaked out a few times when things weren’t done in the amount of time I had originally wanted, but I guess all that matters is that it’s done and I didn’t have to step in too much. I’m so happy that he’s involved and cares just as much about the day and the details as I do—he just doesn’t want to plan it all.
Have you delegated the tasks you didn’t want to your groom? How did he do?