So we’re having a semi-destination wedding—far from home for me, but someplace comfortable, easy, and familiar. After all, I grew up in Chicago, and I know full well that I can pick up any last-minute extras there.
As my dad always says…you’re not going to Siberia.*
But I’m always one to be hyper-prepared, because it helps keep my anxiety in check. And a big part of being prepared is keeping lists. I’ve got two different packing lists (one for Chicago, one for the honeymoon), a list of stuff to take care of on our trip to Chicago next weekend (where hopefully I meet the lovely Mrs. Sixpence for a beer), and then there’s the big list: things to do before leaving.
With a month until I fly to Chicago, there’s a lot to get done. Here’s what I’m looking at:
1. Buy a damn guestbook. I think Mr. W and I are going for something simple, like this one from Paper Source. In fact, I might go at lunch today, dog in tow. Because I’m SO LA.
Image via Paper Source
2. Get gifts for bridesmaids. I’m leaning toward jewelry that’s minimalistic enough they can wear whenever, but elegant.
Beautifully made, classic, high quality, and elegant. Hopefully something they’d wear again. | Image via Vrai and Oro
3. Get gifts for groomsmen. Mr. W. picks.
4. Get gifts for parents. One down, two to go (details later).
5. Get gifts for boys. Mr. W. picks.
6. Pick up dress from alterations. Scheduled: Saturday 3/11 at 4:30 PM.
7. Chase down RSVPs. We’re currently short about 12 people.
Next Week (3/13 – 3/19)
1. Figure out what I’m wear to shower, rehearsal, etc.
I’m obsessed with this BHLDN jumpsuit, but still trying to justify the price. | Image via BHLDN
2. Take our trip to Chicago. Walk-through, marriage license, ceremony discussion with dad.
3. Nail down accessories/wraps and stop changing your mind.
4. Get draft of work project to client. (3/13 at latest)
5. Email photographer/DJ RE: small schedule changes.
6. Talk to caterer about beer for reception. Bud/Bud Light is not going to work for me.
After That (3/20 – 3/26)
1. Teach Mr. W. to dance.
2. Break in wedding shoes. I’m going with the sparkly blue pair, but I’ve got a pair of similar height comfy wedges as backup.
3. Double-confirm Bowie boarding for the trip. I mean, I’ve already talked to them and put down a deposit, but I’m crazy.
The ridiculous things we do for them…from a hike this weekend.
4. Do the damn seating chart and stop whining.
5. Do final flower run-through with grocery store flowers and step-by-step instructions/photos.
6. Get bridal shower hostess gift.
7. Attend bridal shower. (3/26 afternoon)
The Second-t0-Last Week in LA (3/27 – 4/1)
1. Order wholesale flowers and vases. (shipped to Chicago)
2. Deadline on work project. (3/31 at LATEST)
3. Get final count to caterer.
4. Figure out card box? Signage? Rush order programs?
5. Write and mail bridal shower thank yous.
The Last Week (4/2 – 4/8)
1. Go to hair appointment for color. Scheduled: Saturday 4/8 at 11:oo AM. I know they say not do do hair too soon before the wedding, but Marisa has been doing my hair forever, and she’s awesome.
2. Eyebrows—fix. Make appointment.
3. Waxing—maybe? My long time person vanished into thin air, and I haven’t found anyone I like as much. But I don’t want to deal with my normal razor breakout on the honeymoon.
4. Pack everything.
5. Fly to Chicago.
And of course, I just got put on a massive—and important and exciting—project at work that’s going to have me working overtime through March. And somehow those deadlines are on my wedding list.
So that’s where I’m at. Is there anything I’m missing? I’d love a more experienced set of eyes on this.
*That’s his mantra for packing for a trip, and he’s instilled the ability to pack disturbingly light in me. I can do three weeks with a black tie event in a carry-on. But something tells me I’ll be checking bags for the wedding.