I’ve gotten a couple of comments and emails regarding my DIY Powerpoint maps I made for my invitations. I will guide you step by step through the process so you can create your own.
1. Know the addresses of your ceremony and reception 🙂
2. Go to Yahoo Maps and enter your ceremony address as point A and your reception as point B.
3. Click on Go and make sure your map is centered the way you want it.
4. Click on Printable Version
5. Click on Map Only in the new open window
6. Right click the map and click on save picture as. Save the map to your computer.
7. Open Powerpoint and clear out a slide to work on. Then, go to Insert–>picture–>from file (the picture being the map you saved earlier)
8. Then basically you trace the key parts of the map you want on your wedding map. On the bottom toolbar click on Autoshapes–>Lines–>Freeform. Now you have your tracing tool. Adjust thickness of the line by clicking on the icon Line Style (the icon with the lines with different thicknesses). I usually trace the outline of the map first using a slightly thicker line (2 and 1/4 pt is a good thickness). Start at the edge of the map outline and trace the outline of the map until you need to curve, then just click on your mouse. Then continue to trace until you need to curve again, then just click the mouse. You can click as many times as you want to, to get a more accurate trace.
9. Next, trace the important streets using the same Freeform line and a slightly thinner Line Style. Maybe a 1 pt for major streets and a 3/4 pt for smaller streets.
10. When you’re done, just delete the original map picture by clicking on it and pressing delete. 🙂
11. You can change colors by clicking on Font color (haha). Add shapes by using Autoshapes and text by using the text box. You can also add clipart by going to Insert–>Picture–>Clip art. Basically, this is where your creative juices need to start flowing. Can’t help you with that….well….I probably could. Drop me a line if you have any more questions or need any help.
- Orange County
- Wedding Date:
- July 2007
- Laguna Beach on the beach, reception on a yacht in Newport Beach