This may sound silly, but the part of the reception that gave me the most pause was the cutting of the cake. No, it had nothing to do with the fact that we had no idea what we were doing or that we hadn’t practiced or even discussed how we would cut it. The concern I felt had everything to do with the dreaded cake smashing.
Mr. Hawk fancies himself quite the jokester. For the entire 14 months of our engagement, he promised that he was going to smear cake and icing all over my face, and I promised that if he did, there would be hell to pay. Thankfully, Mr. Hawk got the message, but the uncertainty in my face says it all.
The “I don’t know what I’m doing” face
The “I’m watching you” face
The “don’t you even think about it” eyes
The “get this icing off my finger” look
No smearing! Success!
I’ve never really understood the whole cake-smashing tradition. After all, who wants to pay hundreds of dollars on hair and makeup to be covered in icing?
What’s your take on cake smashing?
All photos by Valerie Demo Photography
Miss a Hawk recap? Don’t fret! Catch up here:
- We review our planning journey
- We rehearse and welcome our guests
- The girls get pretty
- I share my bridal details
- Mr. Hawk becomes a groom
- Our first look
- We take photos at Crim Dell Bridge
- We explore campus for more photography
- The groomsmen ham it up
- The bridal party channels their inner model
- The entire wedding party regroups
- My last moments as a Miss
- Welcome to our wedding ceremony
- The bridal party procession
- Miss Hawk’s walk down the aisle
- We’re married!
- We were surrounded by love during our impromptu receiving line
- We take our family formals
- All our reception details
- I scarf bread ends while our guests enjoy cocktail hour
- We make our grand entrances
- Mr. Hawk and I have our first dance
- Daddy Hawk and I dance
- Mr. Hawk’s mother-son moment
- We eat! (Yes, we actually ate!)
- Cheesin’ it up in the photo booth
- We dance and the boys break out cigars