After toasts, the DJ invited Mr. A and me onto the dance floor to take our first steps together as husband and wife. After little deliberation, we chose to dance to Adam Sandler’s “Wanna Grow Old with You,” made famous in his movie, The Wedding Singer.
Adam Sandler movies are a shared passion between us, and we loved the fact that the song is long enough to do the junior high sway to, but short enough to not get awkward. The music started, Mr. A put his arms around me, and for a few moments we were the only two people in the room.
I wanna make you smile
Whenever you’re sad
Carry you around when your arthritis is bad
All I wanna do, is grow old with you
I’ll get you medicine when your tummy aches
Build you a fire if the furnace breaks
So, it could be so nice growing old with you…
I’ll miss you
Give you my coat when you are cold
Even let you hold the remote control.
So let me do the dishes in our kitchen sink
Put you to bed when you’ve had too much to drink
Oh I could be the man that grows old with you
I wanna grow old with you.
At the end of our dance, we were suddenly both very aware again of the 150 people staring at us, and we both sort of instinctively went in and hugged it out instead of going in for a kiss. We’re awkward like that, people.
Not having any rest, I went straight into the father/daughter dance with my dad. You may or may not have guessed what song my dad and I danced to, but in case you didn’t, here’s the spoiler: “Over the Rainbow”!
The song was a 100% confident choice from the very beginning, although we chose to two-step to the ukulele version by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole.
My dad and I are often not all that sentimental toward each other, but good ol’ Papa Dillo was seriously the biggest softie I have ever seen on my wedding day. During our dance, he leaned in, told me he loved me, and said, “I just want you to know, I’ve been looking forward to this for a really long time.” That got me all teary eyed and wistful, and we really soaked up our moment dancing together to a song that meant so much to my childhood and my relationship with him.
We sang the lyrics together for a good portion of the song, which is why my dad looks like he’s about to sneeze in the picture below. After shouts from the crowd, I lifted up the skirt of my gown to give everyone a glimpse of my highly appropriate shoes, at which point everyone cheered. I felt like a movie star and, at the same time, like a five year-old little girl standing on her daddy’s feet to dance to her favorite song.
After we finished (the DJ faded it out after about two minutes because DANG, that song is long), Mr. A and I headed up to the front of the room to CUT THE CAKE!
- I gave you guys a recap of my recaps.
- I cried over cupcakes, we rehearsed, and stayed up until ungodly hours the night before our wedding day.
- We spent the whole morning and afternoon of the wedding day setting up the reception venue, and I massaged my own feet in the shower.
- Mr. A and his guys got dressed and had a mini photo session in the alley behind our church.
- Our photographer gets some shots of my wedding day accessories, and my ruby slippers are presented with their own personal photo session.
- I FINALLY get into my dress and I take some awesome pictures with my bridesmaids and Mama Dillo.
- I get a special, sentimental gift from Papa Dillo and I become obsessive about the time and take a few more pictures with the parentals before we head off to the ceremony!
- Everyone makes their grand entrance except for me, and I wallow in the misery of being by myself for 0.2 seconds.
- Papa Dillo walks me down the aisle, bawls his eyes out, and in turn creates the most outrageous chain reaction of blubbering ever.
- We say our vows and listen to some awesome scripture readings by good friends.
- MOH Henna and Bromadillo serenade us, we light our unity candle, and make out in front of the church as husband and wife!
- We gather together and have a super quick family portrait session at the church.
- We take some awesome outside shots with our bridal party, despite the fact that my bustle went MIA.
- We stuff our faces with awesome Italian food!
- Mr. A and I get toasted by our best man and maid of honor.