After we got a sneak peek of the fabulousness in the pavilion that served as our reception space, our photog Laura snuck us away for a hot second to get a few more “official” couple pictures—ones that I’d been dying to get since that morning. Much thanks to our -awesome venue.
All photos by Exclamation Imagery unless otherwise noted.
I mean, screw creating our own monogram—we had our names spelled out in big, splashy red letters for the whole town to see! We were kiiinda a big deal (for a day, at least). Hey, it’s the little things in life!
Anyway, back in the pavilion, our guests and DJ were gearing up for our reappearance, which we were all too ready for. Once we heard “Shake It” by Metro Station start playing, we made our way out while being announced as the new Mr. & Mrs. Foxy!
Photos by Mrs. Pony
I tried my hardest to actually shake it…helloooo, song title…but Foxy wasn’t having it. White boy can’t dance.
Personal photo by a friend
Personal photo by a friend
This whole introduction thing was actually quite the process. I told Foxy the night before he was mighty lucky that the dancer in me didn’t choreograph some elaborate thing to our walk out and/or first dance (because trust me, I was so tempted!). My only request was that he give me a little twirl right before we started our first dance…which he eventually did…but which he also kept. trying. to. do. while “Shake It” was still playing. I watch the brief video of it all and it’s just a whole lotta awkward. But amusing, too!
As the DJ did an as-subtle-as-he-could transition from our my mini-dancefest into our first-dance song—“Wake Up” by Coheed & Cambria—I handed my bouquet off to Jamie and Foxy and I took the floor.
Personal photo by Breezy B
I realize now that I never posted much (or anything, actually) about our first-dance music selection. Like most couples, Foxy and I wanted to choose a song that really represented the two of us; at the same time, we realized that it also needed to be by a band that we both really liked. I personally had several songs in mind, initially—“Even Now” by Dashboard Confessional or “Lullaby“ by The Spill Canvas were two of my top contenders—but Foxy just wasn’t thrilled about them, especially the latter, as he didn’t even know the band. (Which sucks because it was so perfect! So if you’re in the market for a first-dance song…try that one!). We had briefly discussed using “Stolen” by Dashboard, but at the time it felt like everyone and their mother was using that song, so we opted to keep searching.
To make a long story short, I suggested “Wake Up” by Coheed & Cambria, a band we both really love. It’s one of my favorites by them, but shockingly, Foxy had never heard that particular song before. After his first listen, he was hooked. Sure, some of the lyrics are a bit depressing and not very “weddingy,” but whatever. Most of the song is sweet, we both liked it, it was good for sway-dancing…done aaaand done!
Some of my favorite lyrics (because what’s a post about the first dance without lyrics?!):
I’ve earned through hope and faith all the curves around your face, that I’m the one you’ll hold forever. If morning never comes for either one of us, then this I pray to you wherever.
I’ll do anything for you, this story is for you. I’ll do anything for you, kill anyone for you.
The morning will come in the press of every kiss, with your head upon my chest—where I will annoy you with every waking breath, until you decide to wake up.
About a minute into the song, per an earlier request we made to DJ Frank, everyone was asked to join us on the dance floor. (As Foxy would say—anything to take the focus and attention off of us for a few minutes!)
This was probably the most packed the dance floor was all night (which sucks, because I was hoping it would be hopping, but whatevs), but I still loved that we were able to have everyone come out and join us for even a few minutes. It made for some super-cute photo-ops, too!
This is my “Bahahaha, no you may NOT dance with your husband, Officiant Em…he needs to film us doing our intricate sway dance!” face. Yes, that happened. Sorry, Em…you know I love you!
This moment—our first dance and the accompanying song—felt extra special to us since we decided to forgo any of the other traditional dances and reception events (think father-daughter dance, mother-son dance, bouquet and garter toss). We wanted to keep it simple, to keep it sweet.
And maybe it seems a bit selfish, but in that moment, surrounded by all our friends and family, it really felt like it was all about us. You know, the two people who I repeatedly forgot about.
So once the song was over and people started dispersing from the dance floor, it was time for another one of my favorite moments of the day—toasts!
Did you have to take different music tastes into account when choosing your first-dance song? Did/does it have any non lovey-dovey lyrics in it like ours did?
Miss a recap? Catch yourself up!
- It’s Wedding Week! – The week of the wedding started out pretty hectic, but we made it through (relatively) unscathed.
- We’re Cool People (who had to deal with a slight change of plans) – On Friday, we made our way to the venue, had a relatable moment on the radio, and learned about some last minute changes that we made an effort to take in stride.
- Practice Makes Perfect…And Crabs Don’t Hurt, Either – After most everyone was settled in on Friday evening, we had our rehearsal followed by the best dinner ever—a Maryland crab feast!
- Rise and Shine! – Wedding morning was soon upon us, and I woke up at the crack of dawn ready to get prettified.
- Pretty Women – Over the course of the next several hours, the girls and I hung out, got our hair and makeup done, had a photo shoot, and drank champagne.
- Dressing Up – Soon enough, it was time for me to slip into my dress!
- Dapper Dudes – At the same time, Foxy and his guys were ironing and getting into their suits—and Foxy was opening his wedding day gift!
- The First of Many Looks – We had our first look, and both felt so much better after being able to see each other for the first time that day.
- A School Bus Photo Shoot – Our vehicle of choice for the day was a school bus, which we turned into a photo-op both inside and out!
- Smiles and Sun – The photos continued by the lighthouse and pier…with sunglasses and a few funny stories along the way.
- ALL the Family – We then met up with family at the lock house for even more pictures, and I started getting a bit antsy and having problems with my dress.
- And Then There’s Us – I kinda-sorta-maybe forgot all about couple and bridal pictures. Thank goodness for our amazing photog reminding us!
- Final Touches – Slight chaos then ensued in the minutes before the ceremony started, consisting of me getting sewn into my dress and the boys getting their bouts pinned on at the last minute.
- And So It Begins – The guests arrive, the wedding party lines up, and the ceremony space is revealed—complete with programs, white knots, and bubbles!
- All I Want Is You, Will You Be My Bride? – The time had finally come—we all made our way down the aisle while my stepdad and stepbro played and sang a beautiful, acoustic version of “All I Want Is You.”
- Take Me By The Hand and Stand By My Side – In other words…the ceremony!
- Bubbles and Bustles and Beverages, Oh My! – Bubbles are blown, my bustle is tied in, and cocktail hour commences with lots of love, hugs, and drinks.
- The Guestbook – The final version & reveal of our fingerprint guestbook—and some tips, should you want them!