#MarriageGoals: Planning Our Relationship Resolutions for the New Year
As we plan our wedding, one thing both Mr. W and I are really focused on is our relationship. After all, it seems like people can get so caught up in the wedding that the marriage can become secondary.
And I can see it—planning gets stressful, especially as the wedding sneaks closer.
So this new year, along with some other crap, I made a few resolutions to keep me focused on what really matters: our relationship.
2017 goals: more adventures, more spontaneity, more health, less bullshit
1. Spend more quality time together. And by quality I don’t mean watching TV or sharing rushed dinners between the work day and my training sessions. I mean setting time apart to talk, bond, reconnect…without either of us playing on our phones or getting distracted.
2. Get physical. No, I don’t JUST mean sex, but making sure to hug and kiss goodbye rather than just running out the door. Or hand holding when taking a walk with Bowie. Or dancing together—which will be made easier by the pre-wedding dance lessons we plan on taking. Because seriously, Mr. W is NOT a dancer.
3. Write more down. I’ve made a commitment to writing more stuff down—notes about exciting things in my life, things I’ve learned, weird questions. And when it comes to my relationship, I want to write down the happy memories so we can savor them. I want to write more love notes, because why not?
Hoping for more cool adventures like this
4. Get out of our comfort zones together. Mr. W and I are committed to trying more new things this year, whether it’s cocktail-making classes, rock climbing, or I don’t know—marrying each other. We’re so comfortable with each other that it’s easy to get stuck in a rut, so taking classes, going on adventures, etc. will shake things up a bit and keep an old relationship fresh.
5. Don’t take things for granted. I’m lucky. I’m in a happy relationship with a man who loves me, supports me, and is patient with me, even when I’m not able to love, support, or feel patient with myself. We live in a great place, put food on the table, visit cool places, and do fun stuff. I’m incredibly grateful to be part of such a great team—and I need to keep that gratitude going, all year long.
Clearly, we’ve got TONS to be grateful for.
6. Get fit together. I don’t want to lose Mr. W any earlier than I have to. And that means keeping BOTH of us healthy so we can enjoy a long, fun relationship for decades to come. So Mr. W and I are focusing on eating clean, working out, and making sure not to ignore medical problems…for ourselves AND for each other.
Anyone else make relationship resolutions this year? I’d love to hear them. It’s never too late to add more to my list.