I mentioned the idea behind our STDs here, and I’m happy to report that after many ideas and even more failed attempts, we finally came up with a design that King Hippo and I both liked that could be mailed relatively inexpensively. The whole DIY process was much more painful than I anticipated, and those details are coming soon, but for now, let’s just bask in the glow of the finished project, shall we?
After much debate and multiple unsuccessful trials with ribbons, grommets, and Japanese paper tape, we decided to simplify and go with a folded card made out of pearl metallic cardstock. The pencil is attached on the front and hotel information and our website info is on the inside. Here is the final product (please forgive my amateur photography and suspect lighting):
Envelope with special Save the Date mailing label:
The wedding logo sticker guests see when they flip over the envelope to open it:
What I love about these envelopes (in addition to the awesome navy metallic shimmer!) is that it’s the size of a regular #10, but the flap is on the side, which worked really well with our design.
When you open up the STD, you see our website address at the top and the hotel information on the bottom.
And our wedding logo again on the back of the card:
I’m really happy with the final result, and it ended up costing just $0.75 to mail each one. OK…to be fair, it would have cost $0.64 to mail them, but the post office only had $0.61 and $0.03 stamps, and I didn’t really want to put two stamps on it, so I went ahead and spent the extra $0.11 thinking maybe the post office would be kind to me for giving them a little bonus and would make sure they arrived safe and sound. (I realize I’m only fooling myself!)
It’s feels so great to finally be putting these in the mail after being engaged for over a year. It’s really happening!
Next up…the DIY details (a.k.a. trials and tribulations).