Once the traditional dances were out of the way, it was time for the party to begin! We started off with some slow songs…
…and then moved into more upbeat songs. After just a few all-ages Motown songs, our DJ went right into the party songs because we are party people. You know, Michael Jackson, Journey, Ke$ha. It was an all-out dance party, and it was my absolute favorite part of the day.
My cousin/Ring Bearer B was the star of the show. He was dancing up a storm all night long. After a few hours, he made a rather abrupt exit with his parents because he had ripped his pants all the way down the back. These photos show why.
The booze was flowing and the music got even more amazing as the night went on. There was a ’90s teen pop section and a rousing version of “Gangnam Style.”
Somewhere along the line, it became a tradition to “double dutch” at all of our friends’ weddings. There are no ropes involved, but two people stand across from one another and pretend to turn ropes. Then people jump into the middle and dance. It’s very silly, but lots of fun.
At one point in the evening, Mr. T’s mom handed out glow sticks to our guests.
It was truly an epic dance party that our friends still rave about. When I think back on our wedding day, the dancing is the one part I wish we could recreate every year, and we owe it all to our amazing DJ, Dena, over at Toast & Jam. She rocked it out all night long, and I think she might’ve had more fun than anyone. Well, anyone except me.
All photos by Andrew Collings Photography
Miss a Treasure recap? Catch up!
- Practice Makes Perfect – Our rehearsal
- Hitting Rock Bottom – Our rehearsal dinner and too many butterflies
- Hair, Makeup, and Broken Mirrors – I get ready with my girl friends
- All Dressed Up – I become a bride
- The Somethings – Old, new, borrowed, blue
- The Guys Get Ready – Mr. T and the rest of the guys get dressed and head to the church
- Goin’ to the Chapel – We head to the chapel and fix a wardrobe malfunction on the way
- Moments Before – My nerves resurface just before the ceremony
- The Processional – The bridal party makes their way down the aisle
- Here Comes the Bride – My parents walk me down the aisle as I see Mr. T for the first time
- I Do – Our Catholic wedding ceremony
- We Are Family – We take formal photos with our family
- Trolley Time – We cruise around Chicago on our trolley
- Life’s a Beach – We take photos at North Avenue Beach
- The Nitty Gritty – We take gritty, urban photos near the Kinzie Street Bridge
- Stopping Traffic – We take photos in the middle of LaSalle Street
- Magnificent – We take photos on the Magnificent Mile
- The Da Vinci Code – We finish up our group photos in Renaissance style
- Cocktail Hour – We mix and mingle with our guests
- The Little Things – The details of our day, including our non-traditional centerpieces
- Make an Entrance – The wedding party enters the reception to the sounds of Passion Pit
- Raise Your Glass – Our family members toast our new marriage
- Let Them Eat Cake – We greet our guests and cut their cakes
- Take My Hand – Our first dance
- The Mamas and the Papas – The father/daughter and mother/son dances