Misfit Entertainment & DJ BurlyB
Vinyl Only DJ - Brad Brickel for "Misfit Weddings". Lovers of "Good Music" hire me for: Classic Rock, Modern/Alt. Rock, R&B/Soul/Funk/Dance/Hip Hop, Motown, Blues, Jazz, Indie Rock, Punk Rock, Noise Rock, Stoner Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge Rock, 80's New Wave, Christmas Music, Classic & Modern Country (I have a vast collection of truck driver records), Polka, and more...
To me, THE BRIDE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON ON THE DANCE FLOOR - and If she’s not feeling it, your doing something wrong! That's why we say no to CHEEZE BALL Wedding DJ's!!
The DJ's primary responsibility to the bride and groom is to protect the vibe, no matter how badly the grooms brother-in-law insists on the "Chicken Dance" or the brides aunt, wants to do the “Macarena”. Your DJ’s highly visible position makes him, by default, your evening’s go-to guy! That’s why it is important to choose an experienced DJ who is a poised pro.
Growing up as the son of a famous musician, I have watched my dad MC and perform for literally hundreds of weddings!! From carrying his gear, to sneaking abandoned whiskey sour soaked cherries, I absorbed every toast and introduction. A well trained DJ, as Master of Ceremonies, means being confident on the mic, and able to make important announcements and intro’s, in a properly pronounced, distinctive, and charismatic manner.
Having followed in his footsteps as a lifelong musician, my love of music has no bounds. This lifetime love affair has also led me all around our great country from Seattle to LA, NYC, Philly, Chicago, Providence and Boston, even all the way down to Miami as a Bass player in several bands, as well as a vinyl record collector, consuming the types of music I like... Rock–N–Roll (Classic, Punk, Stoner, Heavy, Indie, Noise, and Metal), Jazz, Blues, Soul & Funk, 80’s New Wave, Country, and more… my collection is vast. Let's Play My Records
My first DJ gig started at age 12, as the DJ for my church’s Saturday Night Youth Group dances. Yup, I would pack up my stereo and records, and lug them to the church; where our group and guests would assemble to dance the night away. In college at Millersville University, I DJ’d several different shows on its radio station - WIXQ, in fact as a Communications major, I won awards for two of my shows from the National Broadcasting Society. In the 90's, I helped start York, PA's first Pop-Up Martini Bar and Lounge Night. In the 2000's while living in Boston, MA, I held a long term residency, with my Stoned Soul Picnic Set - every Sunday at Boston's #1 Martini Bar, The Blue Cat Lounge.
Today, it's no Line Dances, Games or Props. Just the music you and your guests want to hear. Misfit Entertainment & DJ BurlyB will keep your party rockin’ and give you a reception you and your guests will talk about for years...
Services Overview (Playlists/Sets) - Lets Play My Records!!!
- Big City – Named after one of thee most influential and iconic clubs of the 80's underground scene in the York, Harrisburg & Lancaster, PA area. New Wave Music meant a lot of things in the late 1970’s especially on vinyl. It represented a full spectrum of musical styles, with the common factor being a fresh, honest approach, with a sense of cultural involvement between artists and audience. New Wave gave hope to independent bands playing in burgeoning local scenes across the globe. The college radio boom of the 80’s contributed to the rapid growth from MTV videos to dance floors, everywhere. What you’ll hear: Classic Alternative & New Wave. Artists you’ll hear: The Cure, Depeche Mode, U2, REM, the Smiths, the Police, New Order, the Pretenders, the Clash, Blondie, Duran Duran, Tears for Fears, Adam & the Ants, David Bowie, Squeeze, the English Beat, XTC, The B-52’s, PIL, DEVO, Elvis Costello, INXS, The Fixx, Echo & the Bunnymen, the Psychedlic Furs, the Motels, The Human League, the Eurythmics, the Bangles, Go-Go’s, Madonna, Missing Persons, & many more… Totally!!
- 7” Singles Collection - is exactly that… Spinning selections from my vast collection of well over 500 limited pressings and highly collectible, 7” singles (45’s) and Ep’s covering: Indie Rock, Stoner Rock, Grunge, Metal, Punk, Noise Rock, Garage Rock, Hardcore, Riot Grrrl, Skate Punk, Surf Rock & more... Many are from the epic musical scenes of Seattle, Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Chicago, Minneapolis, Austin & L.A. ~ You’ll Geek Out over this collection
- Stan's Record Bar Era - Vinyl and/or Digital DJ Playlist inspired by Stan's Record Bar, the Lancaster, PA record store, and the education that I received while shopping there, which in turn helped to build my vinyl record collection and expand my mind and interest in: Prog Rock, Blues Rock, Classic Rock, Acid Rock, Space Rock, Psych Rock, Hard Rock, and Experimental genre's. You'll hear bands like Captain Beyond, Mighty Baby, Warhorse, Pink Floyd, Steamhammer, Rolling Stones, Budgie, Vanilla Fudge, Hawkwind, Blue Cheer, The Beatles, GONG, Babe Ruth, Iron Butterfly, Dust, King Crimson, Atomic Rooster, Bowie, Groundhogs, Cactus, The Crystal Mansion, Rhinocerous, and many more...
- Classic Vinyl, spinning the music that first appeared on vinyl records. If your looking for classic rock at your wedding - I have the records to make it rock and your guests to roll! You’ll hear the premiere titles from the most influential classic rock albums of the '60s and '70s plus Classic Rock's second generation, with songs from the late '70s onward. Artists you’ll hear: The Rolling Stones, the Beatles, ELO, the Cars, Foreigner, the Who, Rush, Procul Harum, Queen, Led Zepplin, STYX, Cream, David Bowie, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Jimi Hendrix, The Allman Brothers, The Band, Cheap Trick, Government Mule, The Greatful Dead, The Doobie Brothers, Bon Jovi, Supertramp, YES, Pink Floyd, Chicago, The Black Keys, Journey, Fleetwood Mac, The Black Crowes, WAR, Neil Young, Pat Benatar, KISS, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Elton John, Billy Joel, Aerosmith, The Beach Boys, Bob Marley, The Eagles, AC/DC, Lynard Skynard, Black Sabbath, The Doors, Tom Petty, John Cougar, ZZ Top, Jethro Tull, Van Halen, Deep Purple, Boston and so many more… - Rock On!!
- Stoned Soul Picnic - The Stoned Soul Picnic, is a full set of music - straight out of my record collection and completely inspired by Blaxploitation Soundtracks and the music made famous in Blaxploitation Films like Shaft, Car Wash, Black Caesar, Accross 110th Street, and Coffy, just to name a few. Dovetailing the civil rights movement, 1970’s Blaxploitation music was the birth of a new code of black representation. Featuring anything from crime to westerns to sci-fi, this music went even further outside the bounds of what was called - soul, jazz, blues and funk. So if your thing is traditional Jazz, Space Jazz, Acid Jazz and all kinds of funky Blues records, mixed with Instrumental Hip Hop from the likes of Dr. Dre, The Roots & Cypress Hill, plus throw in - a mixture of Funk (James Brown, Parliament Funkadelic, Kool & The Gang, Sly & The Family Stone, etc...) and Soul (Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, etc...), you have the Stoned Soul Picnic. From the eclectic and obscure to the popular and mainstream, this is one party for the ages – Get Down!
- Soul Town - A classic soul DJ set devoted to Classic Soul & Motown music from the '50s, through the '70s, to today. What you’ll hear… from the most obscure STAX 45 to the most popular recordings of Aretha Franklin & Stevie Wonder... Back in the day, Soul Power took over the charts, and remains alive today with Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, John Legend, Alicia Keys & Usher. Soul is more about naked emotion and personal testimony, it’s a gritty, vocal style, filled with a feeling straight out of the black church. From its originators Sam Cooke and Ray Charles to Diana Ross and the Supremes, James Brown, & Michael Jackson you'll hear: Marvin Gaye, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, Gladys Knight, The Spinners, The O’Jays, Isaac Hayes, Curtis Mayfield, Al Green, Otis Redding, Etta James, Bill Withers, and more… this is Soul Power with DJBurlyB
- Bluesville… Spinning nothing but authentic Blues Music from the past to the present. Artists you’ll here: BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton, Etta James, Robert Cray, Joe Bonamassa, Johnny Lee Hooker, Albert King, Johnny Winter, Billie Holiday, Robert Johnson, Magic Sam, Otis Spann, Otis Rush, Roy Buchanan, Lead Belly, Howlin Wolf, Junior Wells, The Black Keys, NRBQ, Freddie King, Albert Collins, Long John Hunter, Elmore James, Willie Dixon, James Cotton, Canned Heat, Sonny Boy Williamson and more… DJ BurlyB will explore every facet of the Blues from the Bayou to the crossroads and from Chicago to Memphis. He’ll spin all of the various styles to keep your juke joint jumpin!!
- Real Jazz, What you’ll hear… Just the classic sounds and styles of JAZZ master’s past and present. From the early pioneers like Bessie Smith & Jelly Roll Morton to the swinging big band sounds of legends Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington to bebop contemporaries Dizzie Gillespie, Charlie Parker, & Thelonious Monk. Other artists you’ll hear include Miles Davis & John Coltrane who together and apart heralded the birth of Cool JAZZ and JAZZ Fusion at different points in their careers. Also featured are other great instrumentalists and vocalists: Nina Simone, Charles Mingus, Art Blakey, David S. Ware, Ornette Coleman, Sonny Rollins, Wynton & Branford Marsalis, Max Roach, Lester Young, Jimmy Smith, Donald Byrd, Richard “Groove” Holmes, Sun Ra, Lonnie Smith, Dave Brubeck, Dexter Gordon, JJ Johnson, Buddy Rich, and many more… from some of the JAZZ worlds most influential labels: Blue Note, Prestige, Atlantic, Impulse, Columbia, Verve, Chess, and more… DJ BurlyB is a classy guy, his sets are "18 karat" .
- The Web of Sound - Named after one of thee most influential individuals of my musical existence, Bill Tormas and his world renowned, Lancaster PA record store. This play list features groundbreaking sounds, emerging artists, and indie classics + grunge rock, punk rock and '90s alternative. From Afghan Whigs to Beck, the Cows to the Killers, and Pavement to Sonic Youth, you’ll hear the best underground music and chart-topping greats. You’ll also hear… Tame Impala, St. Vincent, LCD Soundsystem, Radiohead, White Stripes, Beach House, Interpol, Arcade Fire, Nirvana, The Go, Pearl Jam, Black Rebel Mototcycle Club, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Green Day, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Bush, Offspring, the Strokes, Guided by Voices, Yo La Tengo, Girls Against Boys, Slint, Built to Spill, Sleater-Kinney, the Ramones, Garbage, Eagles of Death Metal and many more… This is Alternative music made without the influence of major record labels.
- The Grunge Years - DJ set is Grunge Rock, or "The Seattle Sound". Here is music that is loud and heavy from the famous and not so much so. This extremely famous music genre formed from the fusion of punk rock and heavy metal, a do-it-yourself ethos, rain, coffee, cheap beer, the sound of 1970's heavy metal bands, and a subculture that emerged during the mid-1980s in the Pacific Northwest, particularly in Seattle and nearby towns. Some of the sounds you'll hear… Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Beat Happening, Melvins, TAD, Skin Yard, Mudhoney, Green River, Mother Love Bone, Screaming Trees and more from the musical revolution that changed America!! From 7” records thanks to the Sub Pop Singles Club to the best from all the regional labels – C/Z, Empty Records, Twin Tone, Glitterhouse, Tupelo, Estrus, Cargo, Get Hip, Cruz, Kill Rock Stars & more… The shockwaves from grunge are still easily detectable, today… with bands like: Pissed Jeans, Low, METZ, and more… Flannel up and lets play my records!!
- NOISEVILLE… Ah, Noise Rock, the bastard child of punk and metal. This form of music came to prominence in the ‘90s with bands like Unsane, The Jesus Lizard, Helmet, Melvins, The Cows, Sonic Youth, God Bullies, Boss Hog, Shellac, Cop Shoot Cop, Killdozer, Steel Pole Bathtub, Hammerhead, Janitor Joe, Zen Guerilla, and Cherubs from underground labels like Amphetamine Reptile, Touch & Go, ¼ Stick, Matador, Reptilian, Alternative Tentacles, etc... “Noise rock” is perhaps the laziest genre descriptor, like, ever... Here is music that is loud, heavy, weird, and a bit unseemly—perfectly fitting in with the time in which it was created. But guess what? It never went away. In fact, it’s enjoying a mini-resurgence in the loud rock underground, with bands like: Whores, Le Butcherettes, Pigs, Hepa/Titus, Crystal Ferry, Seawhores, Big Business, and No Anchor, throwing it down... Let’s play my records!!
- All That’s Heavy - Named after one of thee most iconic and long lived distributors and retailers of Heavy Rock, this DJ set is a Heavy Rock style Gumbo that fuses elements of Heavy Metal, Doom, Desert & Stoner Rock, with 70’s Heavy Blues Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Noise Rock, Punk Rock and Acid Rock. This is 70's Van culture, mixed with the 80's-90's Skate & Surf scenes and the 2000's legalization... rock-on brothers and sisters. Cannabis & Beer consumption – Check! Bands you’ll hear: Monster Magnet, Fu Manchu, Kyuss, Sleep, Queens of the Stoneage, Karma to Burn, Amon Duul, Electric Wizard, Black Sabbath, Captain Beyond, Acid King, Dead Meadow, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Melvins, GUN, Mountain, Om, Church of Misery, Flipper, Warhorse, Suicidal Tendencies, High on Fire, Judas Priest, Lowrider, Hawkwind, Orange Goblin, Dozer, Solace, Solarized, Rainbow, Led Zeppelin, Cactus, Nebula, Budgie, Atomic Bitchwax, Leaf Hound, Unsane, Sir Lord Baltimore, TAD, the Jesus Lizard, Steel Pole Bathtub, Dozer, Weedeater, Clutch, Buzzoven, Slayer, The Meatmen, Neurosis, Today Is The Day, Man o' War, Soilent Green, White Zombie, Metallica, Soundgarden, Helmet, Marilyn Manson, Isis, Scissorfight, Def Leppard, MC5, Blue Cheer, Sasquatch, Atomic Rooster, Three Man Army… Do you need more??
- Kissing Songs - There's nothing better than a good kiss. Celebrate smooches with a playlist of Jazz Vocals, Classic Soul Divas, Torche Music, BeBop, Latin, and smooth Jazz songs, sure to set the mood. What you’ll hear… Kissing and Love Songs perfect for a special romantic night. Artists you’ll hear include… Dinah Washington, Etta James, Sarah Vaughn, Art Blakey, Stan Getz, Carmin McRae, Mel Torme, Nancy Wilson, Miles Davis, Shirley Horn, Frank Sinatra, Nina Simone, Coleman Hawkins, Big John Patton, and Diana Krall; from some of the JAZZ and SOUL world’s most influential labels: Blue Note, Prestige, Atlantic, Impulse, Columbia, Verve, Chess, etc… “A kiss that is never tasted, is forever & ever wasted” - Billie Holiday
- Christmas Party - Features the biggest and most familiar Christmas and holiday hits from the 40’s to today. You’ll hear contemporary holiday hits including songs by Michael Bublé, Ariana Grande, and Mariah Carey. Christmas classics from Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Burl Ives, Carpenters, Glenn Miller, Nat King Cole, Andy Williams, Ella Fitzgerald, Mel Tormé and Elvis Presley. Jazz stars, including Ella Fitzgerald, Diana Krall, Wynton Marsalis, and Dianne Reeves. R&B Christmas classics from The Temptations, The Jackson 5, Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin, and Toni Braxton. Plus Christmas songs that rock, including hits from AC/DC, Bon Jovi, U2, Twisted Sister, Bruce Springsteen, The Pretenders, and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Elton John, Brian Setzer & Paul McCartney. The playlist can include trucker classics from Red Simpson, country stars like Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, and Dolly Parton, and even heavy metal! Ho Ho Ho!!
- Trucks, Backroads, Blue Jeans, Girls, Whiskey, & Cowboy Hats - There are lots of ways to describe country music... First in regards to describing country music, there's no escaping the past. The impulse to look back — to figures enshrined as icons, to sounds that conjure shared references, to historical dependability in general — is strong. But so is the imperative to let the music evolve with changing times and expand its reach in the process. That's because country music is simultaneously a genre defined by its relationship to its own traditions like Pick-ups, Nashville, Truck Drivers, Roadhouses, and Texas Cowboys, and mixed into a hit-driven radio format akin to the Top 40 (Today's Country Music). This however, has been built into the very foundation of the mainstream country music format... there is a struggle between continuity and changeability that never really goes away. I'll have no problems mixing any, and all other genre's with country music... from the biggest legends - Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Charlie Daniels, Waylon Jennings, Tammy Wynette, Charlie Pride, Loretta Lynn, and Merle Haggard, to today's modern torchbearers - Chris Stapleton, Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts, Blake Shelton, Kenny Chesney, Florida Georgia Line, Carrie Underwood, and Taylor Swift. Even the 90's crossovers are covered here - Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Billy Ray Cyrus, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Dixie Chicks, Jo Dee Messina, Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, Lonestar, Sara Evans and LeAnn Rimes. Then you throw in Alt. Country with bands like Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, Slobberbone, Lucero, The Bad Livers, Whiskeytown, The Avett Brothers, Son Volt, The Drive-By-Truckers, Old 97's, The Waco Brothers, The Sadies and more... Think of this playlist as a mash-up containing all of Sirius/Xm's Country stations rolled into one.
All Events are different and playlists are individually adjusted to meet the specific demands of our customer. We look forward to engaging with and participating in your musical adventure as it pertains to your event!